Non-VFR: Recent 2014 Chevy SS Purchase

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by stewartj239, Oct 19, 2014.

1. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    This past April, my wife and I purchased a 2014 Chevy SS. Chevy announced this car back in early 2013 and we had been anxiously waiting for it to become available. What is so significant about it is that it is a RWD performance sedan which hasn’t been offered by Chevy since the 1994-1996 Impala SS. Another significant attribute about the car is that is it powered by the Corvette LS3 engine (V8) / transmission that puts out 415 HP stock. By simply adding a cold air intake and tuner, you can bring it up to 450+ HP. The car is made in Australia by Holden and for 2014, Chevy only imported 2500 of them.

The car is a sleeper which is what I like. Most people will just assume that it is a Malibu LTZ or Impala LTZ of which the best you can get is a V6. It does not stand out like a performance would until you go by them. The sound of this car is intoxicating - much like the gear whine from my previously owned 5th Gen VFR.

My wife and I have 3 kids, so having a “summer” car that could seat 5 people is what made it justifiable. Does anyone else have a passion for performance cars? If so, post up what you’ve got.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Sweet. I would consider it if you could pull a fifth wheel with it. Would love to go back to a performance car instead of the truck but we camp a bit so being without the truck is out of the question. I have always been a GM man. DOn't know if those became available here in Canada or not.

3. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    GM did offer a RWD performance sedan in 08-09 in the form of the now defunct Pontiac G8. Also produced by Holden. The top of the line GXP model w/ 6.2 Corvette based engine pumped out 415hp. Though I'm not a big GM fan, nice ride. Have the kids learned "Daddy punch it!" yet?

4. f3racer

f3racer New Member

I miss my g8 terribly. Next year the as will be available with magnetic ride and a 6 speed.

5. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

Nope, GM isn't selling the new SS in Canada, sadly... Looks like a great performance sedan.

OP: Congrats on the new wheels!

6. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry Randy. It's not sold in Canada.

Correct. The G8 was only made for 2 years before GM killed Pontiac. The SS is the next generation of the G8 that is made by Holden with Chevy badging. The last Chevy of this type was the '94-'96 Impala SS. Chevy did drop a V8 in the last generation of Impala sedans which was also called the Impala SS, but it was FWD, which is not what most people want in a performance car. And yes, the kids love the car.

Yes, the 2015 has the MRC and a manual transmission. Current word is that GM will stop making the SS when Holden ceases to exist (just like Pontiac) in 2016/2017.

Thanks. We really enjoy it.

7. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    What is the best oil to use with it ? :grief:

Rollin

8. Carolina06HondaRider

Carolina06HondaRider New Member

Mobil 1 is what GM calls for.

9. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I will surely need to start a separate oil thread for this :)

10. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I'm not really a GM guy, but that SS looks like fun to take out and stomp my foot on the loud pedal!

11. pauly_gxp

pauly_gxp New Member

Those are a great looking car. I liked the G8 styling better personally, but still is very cool. I have now seen 2 in Sioux Falls, SD area. Ran against one at the dragstip in Marion, SD in September. I was able to beat him in my four door sleeper (2011 Taurus SHO, Roush intake, 160 thermostat, .03. gapped plugs), 13.432 vs 13.981. Both times were our best runs for the night. I've surprised a few guys with this car, especially stop light runnin' thanks to the AWD.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Rollin. You :potstir: We should :brick: you for that.:asshole:

13. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    What I miss about the G8 are the hood scoops. I wish they had carried them over to the SS. Any yes, the SHO is another sleeper that's out there. I love it that people don't know what you've got until you step on it.

14. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    NICE RIDE! Color me jealous!

I still have my 09 G8 GT. Only 34,000 miles on it. I'm running a Vararam intake and cat back Corsas -after dying from drone with some magnaflows. Nothing sounds sweeter in my opinion.

I think mechanically the SS is very close to the G8 GXP, which means you're in for a lot of fun. Or alot of trouble. Maybe both...

So does the SS still have the DOD cams that shut off 4 of the cylinders when cruising?

Here's a pic of my hood scoops :smug:

LED%20off.jpg

15. pauly_gxp

pauly_gxp New Member

No DoD for the SS. I don't think the 6.2 LS3 has that feature. The G8 GT had it but that is the 6.0 L76. The 6.0 LS2 did not have DoD either. A lot of guys have their L76's tuned and remove the DoD for almost no change in gas mileage. Get's rid of that damn vibration when the DoD kicks in and alleviates the hesitation switching from 4 to 8 cylinders.

16. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    The GXP is the trim to have if you've got a G8. It has the LS3 which is the only engine available in the SS.

I love the scoops on the G8. I know there are some SS guys who are working on adding them. I am on the fence util I see how it looks.

Correct. No DOD for the LS3 engine. I wouldn't want that on a performance car.

17. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    thanks for the info, haven't kept up with my LS motor knowledge lately. But glad to know the new SS wasn't bastardized with this handicap. I went the lazy mans way with my DOD. Bought a Superchips tuner and just turned off the DOD. Not sure long term if that makes any durability difference but no lifter failures yet. as far as I can tell, no obvious difference in gas mileage.

18. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice rides, gents. I'm an old school Detroit Muscle guy at heart (late 60's, early 70's), but there is something enticing about sleeper cars, especially when they have 4 doors. Here's a few pics of my sleeper. Basic upgrades so far: 42# injectors, 160* T-Stat, RJC Power Plate, couple simple things like having the fan hotwired for the intercooler, upgraded fuel pumps and puel pressure regulators, 14" K&N cone filter, removed lots of unnecessary stuff, trans accumulator modified, and some better wires, ignition module, coils, etc. Custom chip has been burned to run with my specific set-up on 93 Octane with 10% Ethanol, but I can run up to 104 Octane. Haven't had it to the track yet. On paper, with the work done, its a recipe for low 12's. Hope to do some stuff over the winter to knock about 1 second off QM Time.

Turbo T Oct 14 1.jpg

Turbo T Oct 14 6.jpg

19. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    The Grand National was also a gorgeous car. I believe yours is an '87? Back then, was it not the quickest or one of quickest with a 0-60 MPH time? I know they are pretty rare and still go for a good dollar. Are you the original owner by any chance?

20. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice Regal Pliskin!

I would have killed for a grand national with T-tops back in high school. That or a late 80s cutlass supreme 442. love the body styles.