Northern New Hampshire Ride-Routes ?

Discussion in 'USA - Northeast' started by stephanon2whls, Mar 4, 2007.

1. stephanon2whls

stephanon2whls New Member

United States
    Map
    Guys:

I'll be spending a week in Bretton Woods at the end of July and want to know the good ride-routes up there...

I'm guessing it might be hard to find a bad road up there judging by maps of the area, but do you guys have any favorites ?

-Stephan

2. Scott_Lilliott

Scott_Lilliott New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Stephan, yea, that's very near where we party every year, mid-May. There are lots of great routes to ride, try this one:
    From Bretton Woods, follow 302 South towards N. Conway. Before you get to N. Conway, watch for a road on your left called Hurricane Mtn. Rd. - take it - wicked good challenge ride. At the end, take a break, then turn left (may be Rt 113A) and follow north to Rt 113. Follow Rt 113 N which narrows down to a sidewalk-wide path thru the woods and ends at Rt 2 in ME. Follow Rt 2 E to Bethel then north until you join with Rt 26 going north-west. Follow Rt 26 all the way across NH to VT - it's a stunning ride with views of the MT Washington Hotel and great scenery. Stop in Errol for gas.
    Continue on Rt 26 to Colebrook NH, take 'Bridge St.' to cross over into VT at Rt 102. Turn left (south) onto Rt 102 and e-n-j-o-y! Follow 102 all the way down to the Junction of Rt 2/Bridge St. Take Bridge St. back into NH following signs for Rt 3 S. Follow Rt 3 S to 302 and back to Bretton Woods.

That's Day One. (heh heh)

Mid July, roads like the Kancamaugus will be jammed with RV's - AVOID.
    You might also consider a day ride to Rangely Lake, ME (Rt 17), or meandering anywhere in VT (my fave). Drop me a line when you head out.
    I can't guarantee I can get away but - just in case.
    Scott

3. stephanon2whls

United States
    Map

Wow, good route.... Route 16 from Milan to Mooselookmeguntic Lake looks interesting, too...

TTYL,

-Stephan

4. NeverlosT

NeverlosT New Member

Definitely post when your headed up there, I live in RI, but would spin up to NH for a few days of nice riding with other VFR peoples. I've been on a lot of those roads mentioned in a car, and thought wow, these would be killer on two wheels....

5. stephanon2whls

United States
    Map
    My trip isn't until July.... But I'll touch base with this thread a few times before I head up there.

-Stephan

6. Scott_Lilliott

United States
    Map
    You're half right - Rt 16 is nice from Milan to Errol (Rt 26 intersection) but it's a rough road north of Errol, which wouldn't be too bad except is a looong way to Mooselookmeguntic (unless they've paved it recently). Also, Rt 16 south of Milan thru Berlin is a conga-line of traffic - avoid if possible.

Scott

7. stephanon2whls

United States
    Map
    See - that's my concern... I can look at maps all day long, but I can still encounter dirt roads (I'd like to avoid these) and traffic jams on small two lane roads.

-S

8. Scott_Lilliott

United States
    Map
    OK, let me clarify a bit. Rt 16 North of Errol isn't dirt, but it is frost heaved, so it's a somewhat jarring ride. Eminently doable, just not fast and smooth.
    Also - Hurricane Mtn. Rd (from my first response), the last half is quite bumpy (not dirt) but it's also a wonderful challenging ride, as it is the only cut thru across the mtns. (google maps, Intervale, NH)
    You could go south to 302 E into ME and then 113 north, but you'd add 60-90 minutes to your ride - stuck in N. Conway traffic!
    N. Conway - for those who don't know, is the north country capital of the outlet stores - shoppers paradise, traffic headaches. Also, Whitehorse Press is about 3 miles away from N. Conway center, just off Rt 302.

A bunch us local gang will be up there May 18-20, and someone will scope out some of these roads and I'll report back any changes. Bretton is in a nice location, because you can be in VT in under 60 minutes, where the roads are *really* nice. I suggest studying some Vermont maps for a day ride or two. Usually less traffic than NH too.

Scott

9. stephanon2whls

United States
    Map
    Cool... Thanks for all of the info, Scott...

I HAVE to take advantage of the opportunity to ride in the upper northeast...

Will be a nice change from the semi-suburban Northern Delaware region.

-Stephan

10. stephanon2whls

United States
    Map
    Hey NH/VT/ME VFR riders....

Just checking in a few weeks from my trip....

Any new routes or suggestions ??

Any of you guys available for a ride the week of July 30th ?

-Stephan

11. NeverlosT

NeverlosT New Member

Turns out I am leaving with some biker family members and riding to northern canada over that time period, so I am out, but I am sure you will have a blast! Best Wishes for a good ride!

12. stephanon2whls

United States
    Map
    anybody else ?

Bueler ? Bueler ?

-S

13. stephanon2whls

United States
    Map
    Holy crap... Just arrived in Bretton Woods... Trailered the VFR up - I know - I'm a p*ssy....

Anyhoot, just the ride in on 302 from I-93 looks fun... I am looking forward to exploring locally...

Again... If anyone has any good road suggestions near Bretton Woods, let me know.

-Stephan

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  14. keet

keet New Member

Map
    ...........hey!!!...im over in the Franconia notch area.....u should check out the Kanc especially midweek.....go from BW to rt 3 in "twin Mt"...follow to I 93 to Lincoln,Nh....go to rt 112 (the Kanc)....its a nice road, some good twists,and nice views...also bring swim trunks and take a dip in the river,,some nice areas to cool off....proceed to bartlett...then to jackson,,,take a left at the intersection going to MT washington(or storyland)...ride till you get to gorham...take left at rt 2(going to jefferson)...proceed and take first left going towards twin mt,,,,if you hit six gun city uve gone too far.....proceed back to twin mt and then back to BW....its a fun ride.

15. stephanon2whls

United States
    Map
    Funny you should say that..... I did the 302 --> 93 --> 112 -->16 --> 302 loop this morning. Great Loop. I started at 615 in Bretton Woods, rode 120 miles and arrived back 'home' 2 hours later.... 'Tha Kanc' was a nice stretch of road and 302 isn't so bad either with the exception of a few boring straights (j/k)... There was literally NO traffic out there early Sunday morning (including LEO's), so it was perfect IMHO...

I have a route map from one of the guy's posts in this thread to do a northern route... I still wanna try rt 3, Bear Notch road, and a couple other closer roads.... I have about 2 hours in the morning before everyone in the house wakes up for breakfast to play...

Tomorrow - I bring the camera.

-Stephan

16. keet

keet New Member

Map
    ......another pretty nice ride is to groveton to berlin (rt110) ...it goes thru stark...then thru berlin and back to BW whick ever way u want....the last time i hit that road it was just me...i saw maybe 2 cars the whole ride....hey at least it stopped raining too

17. stephanon2whls

United States
    Map
    I'm getting a late start this morning...

I'm gonna try Hurricane mountain rd east out of intervale (off of 302)

Thanks for all the route info... If you have an early morning off this week, we should meet up and ride...

-Stephan

18. stephanon2whls

United States
    Map
    OK, took 302 east to Bear Notch and then south to the Kunc.... Bear Notch is no fun at all on the VFR... It'd be ok on a SuperMotard..... Very bumpy old asphalt.

Then I headed east again on the Kunc and up 302 to Intervale where I picked up Hurricane Mountain Road (HMR) east... Here is how I describe HMR.... HMR:Autocross as The Kunc:Road Course... A SuperMotard would be good on this road too because it's so friggen technical. Speeds varied from 10mph to 50mph max... I spent 50% of the time standing on the pegs to absorb the dips and whoops.. Fun, but a real workout at speed.

I took a pic and a few videos.... (to post later)

So, Keet... Where are the rest of the roads like The Kunc in the White Mountains area ? The west end of 'The Kunc' is my favorite so far with sections of 302 between Bethlehem and Conway coming in second.

-Stephan

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  19. keet

keet New Member

Map
    ......stephan.....i dont anticipate getting a chance to ride in the mornings...but..if u tell me where u are staying at bretton woods...i could probably drop by....we could at least chit chat for a while.....and i could steer u in some other roadworthy direction.....i work at cannon mt in case u are out for a ride..i might be at the top of a lift tomorrow if i can get a 4x4 to get me up there(mt truck)...my name is keith in case u were wondering...and i might be at the peabody slopes also....hope u are having fun up here in NH...
    .......ill pm u so u can have my phone # ...

20. stephanon2whls

United States
    Map
    Holy crap.. Weeklong vacations always go too fast.. ...

Sorry I never called, Keith... We found ourselves busy with so much.. I only rode about 380 miles the whole week....

Sunday Morning 7/29 was by FAR the best morning ride... Definitely God's country up there... Traffic on the local roads really pics up after 7AM and on weekdays.

OK, so pics and Video.....

On Crawford Notch Rd near Silver Cascade:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/stephanon2whls/VFRPics/photo?authkey=BG3JQX_Nttw#5095282456807530194

On Hurricane Mountain Rd:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/stephanon2whls/VFRPics/photo?authkey=BG3JQX_Nttw#5095282302188707522

Still pic on Bear Notch Rd:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/stephanon2whls/VFRPics/photo?authkey=BG3JQX_Nttw#5092998479098861954