Not turning over just clicking

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Cory Harvey, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Cory Harvey

Cory Harvey New Member

United States
    hello all, I just recently got my hands on a 1992 VFR 750. Was told the carbs leaked but didn’t seem to have any issues the first two days I rode it. I left it over night with the fuel on not thinking it would be an issue. And it didn’t start the next morning (had the key in and switch on the run position). It turned over once or twice and has been just clicking ever since. So Long story short I got a brand new battery and starter relay. Took the starter in and they said it tested fine and the battery was fine. I could smell gas in two of the cylinders and on the plugs. so I thought it was flooded. Pulled all the spark plugs and tried to push it in gear none of the gears would get the tire to spin. Kinda lost at this point not sure if the starter could still be bad or if I need to take that off also to clear the motor of gas. I checked all the grounds and wires. They are all on right. I didn’t take them off to clean them but they didn’t look bad. I don’t have a volt meter but I could borrow one. Thanks for your time

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    New batteries might need to be charges b4 use, and you MUST have a multimeter if you're gonna be riding an old Honda.

3. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Have you got hydraulic lock from fuel filling up a cylinder or two? Would expect that you should at least be able to turn the engine over with the plugs out in a high gear by turning the back wheel. If not then I doubt you have an electrical problem.

4. Cory Harvey

Cory Harvey New Member

United States
    Yeah I’m slowly realizing how important the mutimeter is. I’m assuming it is in hydraulic lock, you can see the carbs are wet from gas and can smell it coming from the cylinders. I tried to push the bike around with the spark plugs out but I have a gravel driveway and couldn’t get enough traction to get the wheel to turn. I’m going to see if I can get it on a lift and turn the wheel by hand. Would taking the starter off help much?

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    not at all.

hydraulic lock can't happen if plugs are out.

6. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map
    There are plenty of posts on this site on how to deal with electrical problems . You need a multimeter and a manual. It appears you have very little technical knowledge so I suggest you find a friend who does, and get them to help you. If you don't, this is going to end up with you either blundering around, or having eventually to take it to a shop, and paying big bucks to get it sorted. With a good manual and some necessary tools, this is not brain surgery. Good luck!