OEM 3rd and 4th Gen forks the same?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by RedneckRacer, Mar 11, 2014.

1. RedneckRacer

RedneckRacer New Member

United States
    Map
    I am in need of some new forks due to some loose gravel and guardrail last fall. My lowers are fine and could potentially be rebuilt, but I found some from a 3rd Gen a couple hours north of me. Does anybody know if the 3rd Gen OEM forks will fit a 4th Gen? Any suggestions?

2. erbilabuc

erbilabuc New Member

Yes they are the same. How much are going to pay? I have some from my 95 Id give you for shipping from hawaii but June is when Ill be home.

3. RedneckRacer

RedneckRacer New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow! That's very generous of you! Thank you. Do you have any idea what shipping might cost? The ones I found are @$150 including shipping but the difference I've found is that you can't adjust the pre-load on the 3rd Gen. I'd love to have some forks from the same Gen. Let me know what you think shipping would run. I have to ask. What kind of shape are they in? Straight? Good seals etc.?

Thanks again for your very kind offer!

4. erbilabuc

erbilabuc New Member

I changed my forks to 09 cbr600rr forks. They are straight. I pulled them off a running bike. Still have front rim too. Its really just holding my spare 600rr engine and frame up from falling over so its not doing me any good. I have a feeling it will be around 70$ to ship. I shipped a vfr swing arm and shock and it cost me 65$.
    horrible pic but see them back there against the wall?

[​IMG]

5. RedneckRacer

RedneckRacer New Member

United States
    Map
    That sounds like a dang good deal! I am definitely interested! I like the street fighter make over btw. I'm hoping to do something sorta similar while keeping the tail mostly intact. I really like the black tank. I really want to do a complete carbon fiber wrap on the tank but don't know how the seams would turn out and I don't really want to do just the vinyl wrap. Anyway. Again thanks!

6. erbilabuc

erbilabuc New Member

the tank is plastidipped in that picture. I posted a picture of what it looks like somewhere on here but either way its a red bike. Im deployed but middle of June Ill be home. The forks are disassembled and ready to ship, just have to wrap them. I know they are straight and rash free if that is all you care about. I want to say there may be some pitting on the chrome tubes.

7. RedneckRacer

RedneckRacer New Member

United States
    Map
    Well I've gotta says thanks doubly then. Thank you for your service to the me and the country. I really appreciate our service men and women!

As for the forks a l am not overly concerned about some minor pitting. It seems like I remember seeing somewhere that with some very fine abrasives you can minimize some pitting. I'm sure the 3rd gen forks I was looking at had some pitting as well.

Have you had the bike out on the new CBR forks yet?

8. erbilabuc

erbilabuc New Member

Ive had the cbr forks on for over a year.
    [​IMG]