Oh Oil, where art thou?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by duder, Mar 7, 2010.

1. duder

duder New Member

Sweet, sweet spring in Indiana.

After hitting the first few days of 40 degree afternoon weather, it's time to break out the vtx1800 and the vfr800... batteries in, check. seats on, check. tires inflated properly... ok, yeah, check. chain lubed. nah, not yet. we'll get there.

Oil change... uh oh. $12.95 for the Honda OEM filters at the honda shop?!?!? (Anyone got the latest and greatest honda oem oil filter part number so I can search on ebay?) $6.99 for a quart of honda oil?!?! Geez, I should just not even bother wearing pants to the shop so they can rape me faster with these prices!

I've looked at some of the threads on here.

Seems like non-synthetic Amsoil 10W-40 and Amsoil and Napa Wixx filters get positive nods, as well as the Honda OEM filters and oil.

In the effort to save a little bit of $, does anyone know a good online place to go for replacement oil & filter orders? Granted it's just oil and spending an extra $30 won't break the bank... but every little bit helps.

Thanks for the replies! 1998 VFR 800

2. 2thdr

2thdr New Member

OK, I'll start the free for all...you can get Shell Rotella full synthetic at Walmart by the gallon for way cheap...it's now JASCO MA certified! Then use a Walmart SuperTech filter that is made by Champion who makes the Purolator One and the Mobil 1 filters...they are constructed way better than the OEM Honda filter. Here's the link you need to read to get all the info...

Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference

Enjoy!

3. 2thdr

2thdr New Member

P.S. If you're going to change oil every 3,000 mi or less, you can also save by going with the Rotella T dino oil instead of the synthetic.

4. Junyr

Junyr New Member

Map
    +2 One for the oil and one for the filter.