Oil and air leak in the alternator case ('85 VF500F)

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by jamespcab, Mar 12, 2021.

1. jamespcab

jamespcab New Member

Canada
    Hello everyone,

I am working on restoring an '85 Interceptor and today while doing a leak down test (using about 40psi) turning the crank all the way to TDC on #1 where I started with, I have heard air leaking out from the left side. I took off the alternator cover and I can hear air leaking from somewhere behind the alternator. Putting the cover back on changes the hissing sound which seems to indicate the source is that area.

I have also found some engine oil - not too much in the alternator case while taking the cover off. Is it normal? Is there a seal behind the alternator?

Appreciate any feedback!

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    The alternator area is not sealed from the crankcase. There are air passages. It is normal to have a little oil in there when you pop the cover.

As for your leak down test... :(

3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    inspect the valve stem tops carefully to check for distortion

4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Check for air bubbles in the radiator, pull the oil fill cap and listen for air there, also listen for air escaping into the exhaust or intake tracts. That way you can narrow it down to blown head gasket, bad piston rings, or faulty valves.