Oil change

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by brandonio98vfr, Jun 7, 2006.

1. brandonio98vfr

brandonio98vfr New Member

I just bought a 1998 vfr and love it, but its about time to change the oil and i just had a few questions because i dont have a manual for it just yet. First off, I would rather do it myself because I can't stand the idea of taking it in to somebody else and paying them to have fun with it, but is it so hard that I'm better off doing so? Also what type of oil does it take, and where is the oil filter and drain plug? I haven't really tried to do anything to it because im nervous but if anyone could ease the tension that would be helpful....thanks.

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I bought the same year bike just a few months ago and I did the oil change myself. Not very hard at all. The manual says remove both fairings, DO NOT DO THIS. Only remove the left side fairing. It will save time. It's pretty straight forward. I went went a napa gold (wixx) oil filter, but mobil one is good, puralator pure one or soemthing like that is good. I used a semi sythetic I think, but from what I've read, it's not necessary. You are just as well off with regular fossil oil. I forget the weight, but if you don't have the manual, I'll look it up for you.

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, don't undo both lowers not nessesary. FWIW I stay with the OEM filter. no biggie have tried others so almost a mute point Oil? now thats different go full syntatic 10- 40W I use Amsoil and there filter if they have it. use their HiPro oil for motorcycle great stuff. drain plug should be right under the bottom left 17MM head just don't over tighten when puuting it back, a good snug is all you need.

4. michaelt863

michaelt863 New Member

United States
    I concur w/preregrin and RVFR. Easy to change. Your choice on both oil and filter. The key is to do it often,.......lifeblood of your viffer.

5. brandonio98vfr

thanks

thanks guys, it was easy and the tip about removing only one did help, that would've sucked to get both off when I only needed to take one off. Thanks again. Hey i have another question, one of my headlights went out, and i can't figure out how to get the bulb out. You guys know?

6. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    The service manual says:

Remove the headlight bulb sockets
    Remove the dust cover
    Unhook the bulb retainer and remove the headlight bulb. (Caution: don't touch halgen bulb. causes hot spots that can lead to early failure)

It looks like the ratiner clip is simply flipped open pivoting on a screw. I haven't done this, but it looks pretty straightforward. I can scan and send you a pic if you need it.

7. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Just need to have small hands would help alot.

8. brandonio98vfr

yeah a picture would help alot. I tried to get to the bulb but my hands don't fit behing the bulb easily, and i dont have nearly enough dexterity behind it to try and remove a clip. Is there anything that i can remove or loosen to make this easier?

9. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    For oil change - I go ahead and pull both side fairings off. It's not that hard. Just takes a little patience. It keeps from getting oil on the paint.
    For oil full synthetic is the way to go, 10w-40. I use Mobil 1 4XWT motorcycle oil. It was rated tops or near tops in most test catagories by Sport Rider magazine. You will get a few more revs on top and the bike shifts better with a synthetic. Also it will run cooler and the motor can be expected to last longer. Oil filter use OEM Honda. BTW get a factory manual and learn your bike. It is well worth your money.
    Keep the rubber side down!

10. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I tried emailing the pic to your listed e-mail brandon and it got bounced back to me. If you are still working on this and what me to email the pic from the manual, my e-mail is preregrin@yahoo.com. Let me know.

11. brandonio98vfr

I bought a manual recently, thanks though. Small hands would be great but it wasnt too hard. Hey, can you fit a 190 rear tire on the 98' vfr? I went to buy a new tire and they recommended a 180 rear tire. I didn't want to risk getting the wrong tire and ruin it or mess something up. I looks like there would be enough room to fit one but i dont want to buy one unless im sure.
    -thanks

12. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    One of the guys I ride with told me his friend put one on his VFR and it was fine. I just ordered new tires, though, and I stuck with the reccomended sizes.

13. cat0020

cat0020 Trumper

United States
    Map
    Why would you want a 190 width rear tire on a VFR?
    The wider rear tire will most likely require more effort of the rider to make the bike lean into corners, slowing the bike to straighten up from a leaned angle, decrease your fuel efficiency.. all that to improve the ride comfort only if you inflate the rear tire at below recommended tire pressure.

If you really want to feel like a superbike racer on a VFR, go with narrower 170 rear tire that would make the bike dive into corners faster and less expensive.

14. brandonio98vfr

By putting a 190 rear tire on a rim designed for a 180, it causes the edges of the tire to curl inward, enabling the motorcycle to lean farther into the corners. I did a bit of racing research and talked to mike valasco, (former crew cheif for eddie spencer) he runs a shop near my house. He said that they tested 190 tires on 600cc sport bikes and though it did slow down handling a bit, a good rider can compensate with his timing and squeeze a little more speed through a corner. Food for thought.

15. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I had a buddy try out a 190 on the rear of his ride and he went back to a stock 180 size because he didnt like the slow down in turning into corners.

BTW - It's Freddie Spencer....

16. googus

googus New Member

I use same set up but only remove left fairing and use a Bosch filter. Bike runs alot better

17. brandonio98vfr

Right. . . . Freddie, thats what i meant.

18. brandonio98vfr

Anybody know if they sell carbon fiber parts for my 98 vfr? I've seen a few pictures of vfrs with carbon fiber accessories but i can't seem to find any vendors or anything.

19. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I've seen some on ebay, but I think they are carbon fiber 'look' like triple tree covers, tank protector, has cap ring, etc...

20. brandonio98vfr

yeah, i've seen those too. Hey do you know if a new gen tail would bolt onto my bike? the bolt patterns look the same, and i'm pretty sure that the frame hasn't changed. That would look good.