oil pressure issue

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by biff10, Feb 18, 2014.

1. biff10

biff10 New Member

I put in a oil pump and mine had a bind in it. ran good for 2 days then lost power and barely ran like before. What does the oil pressure relief valve do?? Any other ideas on what to check . I have a manual oil pressure guage I will put on tomorrow.

2. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

First, the relief valve ensures you dont have too much pressure on the oil system. Your bearings and small passages dont do well with too high of pressure.
    Second, why did you change the pump? Worn out? Or do you have something stuck in it?
    Third and probably most important, did you run the bike for long without good oil pressure? If so, plan a rebuild as you need to do rod bearings and most likely top end seals and bearings. Without good oil pressure you are not lubing everything properly and so it wears out a gap that lets the oil out faster than it can be replaced.

Put the guage on in a place that isnt directly off the pump. Best place is on the main oil runner on the farthest you can get from the pump. This way you get to see what the rail pressure is and not see the pump spikes. Then after getting a cold engine reading right after you start the bike, let it warm up to running temps, take another reading then run it hard and get it hot and take another. Your pressure difference should be less than 3psi between first - second and second - third reading and no more than 5psi between first and third readings. You can try adding a little heavier oil (your running 10w30, add 40w) as long as it is jasco MA on the bottle, if you have a oil bypass in the engine then this will fill the gap temporarily and give you a direction to go. If it does nothing then no harm done and your oil will be a tad thicker (depending on how much you added could be a lot thicker).

Start there and post your findings so we can help more.

3. biff10

biff10 New Member

I took off the sending unit and put on a mechical oil pressure guage. ran 7 at idle. up to 75 and stayed steady. I am still lost. the oil pump I replaced had a bind in it so it got replaced. 20k miles on bike.

4. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map

5. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

7psig (psig, that is correct) is a little low for cold idle but tolerable.
    And 75psig is very good, so like toecutter has said, replace the filter and cut open the old one and look for metal. Anything you can see is too big for your bearings.
    also if the engine is hot and you have 75psig then you may have crap where it doesnt belong. That should drop to about 50 to 65psig when the oil heats up.

I think your issue is larger than just oil pressure. Consider doing a full inspection. This takes time and requires taking a fair amount apart.

Give as much detail as you can, sometimes its the stupid stuff that we overlook that fixes the issue.

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    How about someone posting instructions for making a simple, cheap d-i-y dial-indicator (or electronic readout), standard PSI testing unit for our bikes' oil pressure ? TC or KB could be our man, our #1 "I owe that guy a beer" man forever for this.

:drunk: :party2: :drunk:

7. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
  8. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

Oil pressure sending unit and a regular aem digital oil pressure guage will work just fine. That and it saves me r&d time.

Dont reinvent the wheel, just take others parts and put together a system. Then patent the hell out of it :)

9. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
  10. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Who couldn't potentially save money if they could check oil pressure on whatever used bike they were planning to buy ?