Oil Seal 1985 VF500F

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by mschmutz, Aug 31, 2018.

1. mschmutz

mschmutz New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hello All,
    I'm having a leak fom the oil seal on my crankshaft. I am having a hard time taking out the seal and i'm looking for advise on how to take it out. My plan is to get the bike towed into the shop next week unless i can get this done myself.

Tried to use a seal puller tool, drilling a hole and putting a screw through it. Is this something that i can do from the side of the bike or does the engine need to be taken off.

Attached Files:

2. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Is that picture of the seal on the countershaft sprocket shaft? It doesn't really matter how you get it out as long
    as you don't damage either the countershaft, or the area that the seal goes into. Screwdriver, chisel point, needle
    nose pliers, vice grips, etc. whatever works. But yeah, it's a tight fit into the case, so it will take a little work.

Looks like the oil seal goes into the case from the outside. You should be able to install it past the countershaft. Be
    sure to use some tape to protect the seal from the splines or any dings on the shaft, so you don't nick the seal when
    installing it.

3. mschmutz

mschmutz New Member

Canada
    Map
    Yes, that's the pic of the seal. I have tried tools but its not really budging. I may just take it into a shop since i'm worried I will damage something else.

4. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    That may not be a bad idea, just make sure they know how it comes off. I was reading the other thread about the guy trying to get
    the countershaft seal of his '86, not a pretty sight. Looks like that seal may not come off as easy as the fische makes it look.

5. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I think that that inner collar will slide out on it's on own helping get some kind of extraction tool on the inside lip of the seal.
    I could be wrong, it has been a while.

Edit: I'm probably wrong.
    Edit: I am wrong.

6. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    The shaft surface is more critical to stay away from with tools. The crankcase surface can always be sealed with a little Hondabond with the new seal if something happens.

7. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I wouldn't trust a shop to not bugger that job up. Your best option is to keep trying the drill hole and pull on the screw method. A small slide hammer helps a lot! You might even try drilling two holes near each other and try hooking something (like a spring puller) around thru them to pull on. Even if the seal starts tearing apart it will probably just come out easier after the pressure is relieved a little.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  8. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I believe that Dutchy, a member over at VFRDiscussion had this issue. He did a post about it. My recollection is that it does need to be pulled from the inside but there was a person in Denmark (Where Dutchy is from) that did a mod to the crank case so you could do it from the outside. Now, that is my memory of it, I might have gotten the topic mixed up but I’m pretty sure it was the same item you’re dealing with.

9. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Youre thinking of the clutch rod seal. This is the counter shaft seal.

10. mschmutz

mschmutz New Member

Canada
    Map
    Update
    Was able to get the seal out with alot of patiences. Drilled hold and put screw in didn't help pull the seal out.
    Trying to put plyers in the hole to make it bigger did help me. Was able to get enough leverage with a seal puller that I initially could not do

When i put in the new seal i had a hard time getting it lined up and damaged the seal too much. Will order a new seal tomorrow for 30$ and hopefully will be in by the weekend. Will get some help this time to put the new seal in.

11. mschmutz

mschmutz New Member

Canada
    Map
    Can't get the dam seal in. Trying to put oil on it and around the shaft to get it back on but no luck. Had a friend that's a car mechanic and he can't get the seal in.

Guess its time to bring it to a shop.

12. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Have you measured the OD of the seal, and measured where the seal goes? Make sure they're compatible, if they're way off in size
    the shop won't have any better luck than you. Whip out the calipers and check those sizes.

Get a piece of PVC pipe the same diameter as the OD of the seal, and use that after you've gotten it started good and straight. It should be a tight fit, and make sure there isn't any lip on the area where the seal goes. Put some tape over the splines on the shaft so you don't ding up the seal.

13. mschmutz

mschmutz New Member

Canada
    Map
    I did measure it with a caliper and it and it looks the same size. Just called Honda dealership and they said they would have to crack the case to put the seal in.