One thing leads to another

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Outboard John, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

So my ride is a 2007 RWB with 10,000 mi. With the original skins on it. Time for new. Ordered up some Michelin PR3's. well while I'm at it I may as well upgrade the brakes. Ordered up some EBC hh's and will be changing the brake fluid. Well, makes no sense (to me) to go to all this work and not have my suspension upgraded by Daugherty Motorsports (Jamie). Here's where I'm at, battery out, hugger off, tank off.............how do you get a wrench/socket onto that top shock bolt! I tried downloading the shop manual but my IPad wasn't going for it. Point me in the right direction please.
    Thanks
    John

2. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

If you already have the tank off, you have direct access to the nut at the top of the shock. It's under the rear end of the tank, offset slightly to the left.

3. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

I drank a really good IPA looking at how to get at the bolt that goes horizontally through the shock. A fresh look and I see the very obvious vertical bolt that allows the shock to drop right down. Thanks for opening my eyes.

4. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Does he just re-work your shock or are you buying a new one ? And how much ? Thanks

5. white_335i

white_335i New Member

This. I would like to know as well. Thanks.

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Duccmann, I had Jamie rebuild an ABS shock and send me the front internal components for less than $600! As far as the shock goes, he can rebuild your stock shock (you have to send it to him of course) or he can build you one from a 929 or other "donor" shock. I found an ABS shock on eBay for $40, bought that and sent it to JD to work his magic. This way I could keep my bike on the road while JD worked on the rear shock. It took me a while to finally get the front end bits in though, I was way busy with work to stop and tear apart the front end. I'm all good now. "VFRMan" is thinking about having JD do the same for him and I offered to help with the front, offer is open to you as well. Otherwise you have to send him your forks as well.

7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Outboard John, do you think your ride will be ready to go by this weekend? A few of us were thinking about riding in Palomar/Borrego Springs on Sunday. It would be a perfect place to test the new "legs"!

Cheers

8. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

You've probably already discovered this, but you need to unbolt the triangles, jack up your swingarm and remove the dogbone before that shock will come out. (It's a ten minute job.)

9. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Thats a great way to do it..just find another shock to re-build so I can keep it on the road. OOTVS Thanks for the offer..

10. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Thanks for the tips Rainbow. I did figure it out earlier tonoght. Putting it all back together in a couple of weeks might be a differant story. Hopefully I can get an early start in the morning and get the front end apart and take the forks and shock to work with me, box it up and get them on there way to JD. Jamie's web site shows prices for a street revalve upgrade for the shock at $210 and $85 for the spring. Not shure if he will recomend a differant spring for me or not. I weigh 150 in riding gear. The fork revalve is $230 plus $85 for the springs. I know this will need the spring as the stockers are progressive and single rate is preffreable. I'm going to go ahead and have him install the HKS fork seals (less sticktion) for $50. The goal for me is just to have a more comfortable and compliant ride. Don't care for the way an expansion joint or tree root will kick my ass off the seat or deflect the front wheel. So I'll take this down time to do the things that I mentioned in the beginning of the thread plus, oil and filter, radiator fluid, and also need to convert the high beams back to Hologen from HID(came that way from the PO). This is going to keep me busy(I work slow). I'll get in touch with you local guys for a ride when I'm back on the street and can update on the updates:yo:
    OBJ out

11. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

You're a circus dwarf?!

12. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Yup, about a buck40 soaking wet! My friends want to kick my butt when I complain that Levi's doesn't make jeans in the 28" waist anymore.
    OK, off to the garage to wrestle with the forks.

13. OOTV

OOTV Insider

If you can find or have one, a Pelican Rifle case is the best way to ship your forks! It will protect them and is the right shape/size for them. If no Pelican, make sure you package them well and insure it! I was too worried about the forks getting lost and/or damaged to even consider shipping them, that and the fore mentioned need to keep the bike on the road. As far as better suspension goes, I can attest to that! Those square edge bumps are pretty much non existent now.
    Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers!

14. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

By the sounds of it, you wouldn't have much to kick.

15. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Got that right! Plus even at 57 I'm still pretty fast, and most of these friends can't get there foot that high.
    Thanks for the tip on shipping OOTVS. I want to get these parts shipped today so will rely on a whole bunch of bubble wrap. Insurance is an excellent idea. Forks are out so off I go. Hope that I can remember where all these fasteners are supposed to go in a few weeks from now!
    Thanks everyone
    oBJ