Overfilled Engine Oil...how to remedy?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by BMWguy22, Jun 24, 2024.

1. BMWguy22

BMWguy22 New Member

Canada
    Howdy folks!
    I recently started riding my new-to-me 2010 VFR1200.

While I love everything about the bike, I recently noticed the shop who sold me the bike had overfilled the engine during their "once over" when they took it on on trade. Since I recently had a center stand installed, i plan on remedying this issue on my own. The shop who installed the stand mentioned the oil is about 200ml overfilled, as the top of the oil is visible when the bike is leaned on the left side (as when taking a turn).

I was wondering what the best way to address this issue?
    The shop I had the stand installed at suggested I have the oil changed. But at a cost of at least 170, I think that's unnecessary considering the oil is relatively new and I distinctly had the stand installed so I can do my own maintenance.
    Are there any other suggestions?

I also have access to a oil suction pump (that's how I extract oil on my Honda and BMW cars). Can I use this method on the VFR as well? Or is there baffles/engine components in the way? If there are engine components in the way, couldn't I simply dump out what's in the oil filter and re-install?

thanks in advance

2. Totaled TL

Totaled TL New Member

United States
    Map
    Couldn't you just drain some from the pan? If you drained too much just add back the correct amt.

BMWguy22 likes this.
  3. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I would loosen the oil filter; it is easy to control the flow and adjust the level this way. Your oil suction pump might work but I assume the filler is over the clutch which will prevent easy access.

BMWguy22 likes this.
  4. bmart

bmart Insider

United States
    Map
    Or suck it out the top with a syringe and tube if needed. Is 200ml really going to create any issues? It seems unlikely.

5. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Have you personally verified the oil level using the method described in your owner's manual?

6. BMWguy22

BMWguy22 New Member

Canada
    Morning Gents,

The oil level has been confirmed my myself and the shop who installed the center stand.
    So yes, I'm certain that it's overfilled.

Will it cause damage? Maybe, maybe not.
    I like ensuring my vehicles are properly maintained and working as intended by the manufacturer.
    This way I can be certain that I'm doing all I can to ensure a long, healthy life for the bike (also reduce the chance of damage and additional costs in the future).
    My methods have worked for decades on many cars so there's a pretty good chance they'll continue to be useful for me.

As for the method, I think I'm going to simply remove and re-install the filter.
    The amount that's drained should be equivalent to the amount that'll be lost when the filter is removed.

thanks for the replies.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
    Captain 80s likes this.
  7. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    You may find (the hard way) that when you commpletely remove the filter, oil will keep draining from the sump. I would only loosen the filter to get some controllable flow, then re-tighten it when you feel you have made enough mess and dropped enough oil.

BMWguy22 likes this.
  8. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Several years ago I over filled my 6th gen and wanted to lower the level for fear of something bad happening to the engine. I had no idea what but as the bike as nearly brand new, I was not taking any chances what so ever. I bought a plastic turkey baster, and with silicon, I attached a short piece of flexible surgical tubbing to the end of the, and just shoved that down the oil fill hole and sucked out what I needed. That worked well. I have since done the same with my Africa Twin. Maybe I should take more care in adding the oil in the first place. But then, I would not have this option available to you now world I?

There is not the slightest oil stain on my driveway or garage floor. I hate those and would be worried that loosening the oil filter and allow some to drain out, may cause oil drips on my driveway. Also there are no weeds in my lawn and the lines are perfectly straight after I mow the lawn. Its a thing.

BMWguy22 likes this.
  9. bmart

bmart Insider

United States
    Map
    I think that you're all too anal about this. Vehicles run just fine with a little more or a little less oil in them. Same with coolant. Brake fluid. Etc. I don't think that I've ever bought a vehicle, brand new or old, that had the perfect amount of any in them.

Too much free time! Go ride these things!

Totaled TL likes this.
  10. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    A little more or a little less, I agree. But how much is "a little" ? This is why the designers and engineers put a sight glass or dip stick in any engine I have looked at. It does not have one line, it has two. Anywhere between these two lines is where the engine is designed to work optimally. Anything lower or higher, then you take your chances. Your choice. I will stay between the lines. Same as the lines on the road. You wander over the lines, It may be OK. Less so if there is a big truck there.

BMWguy22 likes this.
  11. bmart

bmart Insider

United States
    Map
    Very strange...but okay!