Overheating?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by GraphiteEllipse, May 1, 2008.

1. GraphiteEllipse

GraphiteEllipse New Member

My 1991 VFR750 appears to overheat on hot days when it is at a standstill. The temperature guage will read normal while I'm moving, but when I stop it will climb quickly till it is too close to the red for my comfort. But when I start moving it drops back down to a mid-range reading. Does this mean my bike is overheating, or does it mean my sensor is off and I need to replace it? The "temperature" rises and falls too quickly and drastically for me to believe the engine temperature is actually fluctuating that much. Thanks.

2. airwalk

airwalk New Member

Canada
    Map
    test around the system a bit.....make sure the sensor in the rad is working(they sometimes quit), test the fan by grounding the wire that goes to the rad sensor. I run my '95 with a manual switch on the left handlebar (near the grip where it's easily reached) that replaces the function of the defective sensor that I'm too lazy & cheap to change.

3. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    Might also want to make sure the cooling system does not have any air in it... An air bubble will cause spikes in temperature.

As a side note, on hot days, my 4G does this too. Not quite past 3/4 on the gauge, but the fan will come on in stop nad go. Once I am moving again, it will resume it's normal location on the aguge, which is a needle's width above the lowest mark on the range.

Does the fan switch on?

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Having your bike heat up is not the same as overheating.

you need to verify that the fan works properly and comes on when temp reaches about 3/4 on the scale.

having temp shoot up is fairly normal in stop-and-go traffic.

5. GraphiteEllipse

GraphiteEllipse New Member

Thanks for the input I'll check it out.