Overzealous Exhaust Gut - Any Suggestions?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by ubermaxii, Oct 17, 2010.

1. ubermaxii

ubermaxii New Member

So here's what I did:

On a whim, many months ago, I gutted my stock cans. They sounded pretty good. I wanted to strip more weight, so I shortened them. They popped a bit, but still sounded good.

Before buttoning up those cans by fabricating an extended hanger to mount them, I decided to build mufflers from scratch. That is not difficult, but the stock pipe is nowhere near round. So, I decided to make my own exhaust pipe...

Life happened, and now I do not have the time or energy to finish this. It is a real shame that such a nice bike is sitting dead in my garage with like 8 inches of dust on it. There is NO muffler that is worth $600-$2000 to me. I honestly regret screwing with it.

Are there any new exhaust systems out there that are competitively priced? If not, would someone be willing to part with their stock pipes/mufflers? I'd cover all shipping costs of course - I just want to get back on the road!

HELP:confused:

2. digitallyhip

digitallyhip New Member

Canada
    If you can't find a set closer to you, PM me and you can have my stock set for the cost of shipping. But I am on the West coast of Canada.

3. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map

now THATS what I'm talking about right there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good on you digi!!!!

there are tons of folks out here doing the same thing...thats what its all about

4. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

how much did you take off of them, I always wanted to take off say 2"
    you have any pics??

5. ubermaxii

ubermaxii New Member

Unfortunately, I can take a pic of what I have left - didn't take any as I went!

What I did was cut the caps off and then cut the muffler where it bends, on that seem. Then I welded the caps back on.

It looked kinda cool because it changed the exit angle, but they were kinda awkward as they were only like 10 inches long (maybe less). They looked like boxes hanging from pipes haha.

Thanks for the offer Dig! I'm looking into a few locally first, but I'm getting desperate to ride so I may just take you up on that! Hopefully, I'll get the chance to return the favor to another veeferer. This is a great community!

6. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

other option is to find 2 cheap cans D&D perhaps and weld those on to your y pipe

7. ubermaxii

ubermaxii New Member

I'm checking those out now. I kept searching and searching, but I couldn't find many cans w/o the pipe. The few I did were too high for what they were ($200 ea). Its going to be a pain either way because the stock pipe has this squished, goofy entrance into the mufflers that's not a standard exhaust size.

I'm pretty sure I have the skills to do it, just not the time!!