Paint my hardbags AKA NOT painting the wifes bike

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by diVeFR, Apr 6, 2010.

1. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    So I caught the inspiration bug and have decided to paint my hardbags. I have contacted VFRhusband (thanks again) and he has given me the advice to complete this task. I now beleive that I have the utmost, semi, kind-of, think so, maybe, confidence to do this.

Heres' the skinny. A couple of friends and I went for a long day of rideing and it was ending late. It also just finished raining. We were looking for a place to eat dinner and pulled into a large parking lot/ outdoor mall area. The second rider had pulled up beside the lead rider and I followed suit. We were riding at a very, very low speed. The parking area was very, very spacious and their wasn't any cars in the area that we were rideing. All of a sudden and out of nowhere my front forks were eaten by a huge fracking pothole. Almost up to the front forks. With it being dusk and the ground being wet the pothole was camoflaged in with the surrounding. I may have even hit it if I stayed in the trail position. I almost, almost caught the bike since we were moving slow. In fact the only damages were... small scratch on front rim, small scratches on left lead part of fairing and the scratches on the left hardbag. It was the hardbag that took the brunt of the fall. The only thing that hurt on me was my pride.

DSCF1451.jpg

So after talking with VFRHusband I was told to get the following supplies (and I added a few)..

Beer
    400/1000/2000 grit sandpaper
    Glazing and spot putty
    Filler primer
    Etching primer
    Paint
    Condoms (ribbed for her pleasure of course)
    and Beer

DSCF1448.jpg

I know what your thinking...Why the two primers...Ill ask VFRH when I get to that bridge.
    (its for when I fug up this project at least I did it safe :biggrin:)

So maybe Ill finish my project before a certain VFR World member will finish theirs....Any takers??

2. Fazer1Sniper

Fazer1Sniper New Member

Let the games begin!

3. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Good luck! Please keep us posted with pics and updates and don't forget that cold beer !

Rollin

4. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    boobs

so with a lot of beer and nothing to do I finished the hard bag. and put the bondo filler in. DSCF1456.jpg . .
    then I sanded it down as the directions stated....I primered the ba bag and so now comes the waiting....

tu

5. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    you gonnawait as long as Mudguts has?

6. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    keep the updates coming dive, I intend to be doing the same on the gen3 project I picked up.

7. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map

Lol this is tooo funny. I wake up this morining to post pics of last nights work and low and behold its already done. I dont remember doing it. I can see why its taking Cun so long to do Muds bike. The combo of bondo, being in an enclosed space, and beer does wonders....Or did someone slip me a sock monkey??? Now I wonder what else needs to be bondo-ed....:dizzy:

8. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Ok primed and ready for paint. Tomorrow..oh yes tomorrow.

DSCF1461.jpg

9. Fazer1Sniper

Fazer1Sniper New Member

well done so far....

10. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    WOW a paint project that is almost finished...I wouldn't believe it ceptin I saw it rightchere...

11. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    So hit my first major SNAFU. As you can see Im trying to go two tone on the bags. I painted the black area first, waited about 6 hours ( like the direction on the can said) then painted the silver area. I guess the black paint hadn't fully dried. So tomorrow I'll tape the silver then re-shoot the black.

DSCF1462.jpg

12. PyroMcnoob

PyroMcnoob New Member

crap, I hate when that happens... been my experience that it's better to wait overnight before layin' tape over fresh sprayed paint... if you have the time available, take it, and let the stuff set ;) but hey, you're project is definitely movin' faster than Cundalini's *thumbs up*

13. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Thats why I really beleive in my signature line..."skill comes from diligence"...Sometimes the only way to learn is to do it, and make mistakes....You faulter when you don't learn from past experience.

14. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Update. So I taped off the silver area this time after allowing it to sit for 24 hours. I decided to sand and re-prime the whole black area. When I re-shot the black it seem to me that the black was not shineing up like it did before. It had a dull look in some areas. ( I took pictures but they really dont show off this problem) So contacting VFRHusband(thanks again) again he clued me into the problem. It seems that when you paint black in high humidity it does exactly as I have discribed. So tomorrow I'll try again to shoot the black area again and maybe get somewhere.

15. Fazer1Sniper

Fazer1Sniper New Member

I would have never guessesd that Texas would have air too wet to paint black. Here in Ohio it's more common. I get my homemade booth up to over 100f and less than 40% humidity before I shoot black anymore. The moisture in the air can give the effect you describe as well as a rainbow effect that will really piss you off. Paint reactions happin to all of us diVeFR. I had two reactions on white on a CBR tail in two days. Fish Eye first and then the dreadded PeeL!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. PyroMcnoob

PyroMcnoob New Member

damn, I hate when that stuff happens... maybe SoCal is just better weather for painting... I had the peel happen one time, but it wasn't too hard to sand and repaint

17. RedKnight

RedKnight New Member

Map
    VFRH .... the paint expells chems for about 3-4 weeks, which get trapped when you try to clear coat (creating the reaction)! FIRST use a 3M wet sanding sponge med. grit to remove the ripples .... SECOND use their finishing sponge, then repaint ..... it is a reaction between the plastic, the paint and the clear coat . I waited then used thin coats of clear. good luck!

18. Fazer1Sniper

Fazer1Sniper New Member

The fish eye was from oil I'm prety sure. took the pic a ways back, the peel was over primer... got me why. Rubbed it out w the wet 400 and its all good now and waiting on clear coat.

19. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    So I beleive I am done with the overall painting... I love the way that the black turned out on the bags (it is the lower half of the bag,) What I would like is to get the silver as glossy as the black. So Im going to wait a couple of days, retape and re-shoot the silver side to try and get it to that glassy/glossy look. Over all I iz happy!

DSCF1463.jpg

20. PyroMcnoob

PyroMcnoob New Member

they look pretty good! cant wait to see pix of those things on the bike =)