Painting fairings and tank

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by douglasthecook, Feb 4, 2008.

1. douglasthecook

douglasthecook New Member

United States
    Map
    I did a search of the forums on painting and didn't find anything that met my search criteria. So with that out of the way, has anyone ever painted their fairings and tank, or had it done? I'm considering attempting this but would like some hints and tips prior to starting. Also does anyone have any bunged up fairing pieces that they no longer need so that I can practice on? Thanks!!!

2. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    I repainted my Yamaha XS400. Not such a big deal.

I did it with rattle cans, and got non-stop compliments on the depth of the paint, the clarity of the clearcoat, and the OEM look.

Here's how I did it:

1.) Make any and all repairs to plastics, reinforce if necessary. Tiger Hair works VERY WELL.
    2.) Remove any dents, use Bondo where necessary. Try to keep Bondo thickness to less than 1/4", ideally 1/16th" (to prevent cracking).
    3.) Sand parts with 220 grit paper all over, or use a scuff pad to rough it up. This is so that the primer can adhere to the paint. Use caution on plastics, as deep scratches will show through the paint.
    4.) Paint part(s) with sandable primer. Do several medium coats over the course of 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
    5.) Wait over night for primer to dry and then dry sand the part(s) with 320 grit, almost back down to original layer of paint/metal.
    6.) Re-apply another relatively heavy coat of sandable primer, repeat step 5, but use 600 grit paper and a lighter touch. The goal is to have the part as smooth as possible before color goes on it.
    7.) Clean the part with a prep wipe (I use Dupli-Color), wait for it to dry.
    8.) Apply a light, even coat of color to the part(s). Wait overnight for it to dry.
    9.) Add additional coats until the part looks "finished" when wet.
    10.) Wet sand the part with 1000 grit sand paper. Again, glassy smoothness is what we're attempting to achieve. If you didn't sand through to primer anywhere (watch those edges!!!) you should be ready for clearcoat.
    10a.) Do one more SMOOTH coat of color if painting a "flaky" metallic finish, try to do one VERY EVEN coat from a VERY WELL shaken can.
    11.) Apply your first coat of clearcoat. TRIPLE CHECK that the clear coat is compatible with the color coat. Try to stay within a certain brand, here, i.e. Dupli-Color color and Dupli-Color clearcoat. Try to make teh first coat realtively light and even. Add another coat after about 30 minutes, or the clear coat is no longer excessively tacky.
    12.) Wait at least 24 hours and wet sand the part(s) with 1500 grit paper.
    13.) Use a prep-wipe to get any and all residue off the parts(s). Allow to dry.
    14.) Lay down another smooth coat of clearcoat, followed by another coat in about 20 minutes. Allow part(s) to dry for 24-48 hours.
    15.) Wet sand part(s) with 2000 grit paper. When you are finished, the part will have an even sheen to it when wet, and have a "matte" finishe when dry.
    16.) Using a wax pad, and 3M rubbing compound, hand polish the part(s) to a factory gloss - heavy pressure is not necessary. Follow this up with a high quality automotive-specific polish, then a carnuaba based wax. A couple of coats of wax may be necessary for the shine you are looking for. I use Meguiar's with excellent results.

When all is said and done, you can brag to your friends that YOU painted your bike. :yo: Jaws will drop. :jaw: Peons will fall to their knees. :hail: Women will do their makeup in your farings.

And what did this cost, you ask? 6 cans of paint, prep wipes, sandpaper, and your time. Less than $50.:first:

3. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry, no bunged up fairings for you, doug, but I practiced by painting a recycle bin and a trash can.

Heck, you could even paint a 2x4 with the same results...:biggrin:

4. douglasthecook

United States
    Map
    Thans for the info!!! Doesn't sound too terribly difficult, I may just give it a shot, I gotta source all the equip first, the sand paper might be the sticking point, as well as the prep wipes, fortunately there's the internet!!! Thanks again, and if I decide I'm brave enough to give this a shot, I'll let you know!!!

5. OKCVFR

OKCVFR New Member

Most Automotive stores like O'Reilly's have automotive paint supplies.

6. douglasthecook

United States
    Map
    Unfortunately I haven't seen an O'Reilly's here in Germany, especially in the country where I'm at. There are a few stores that I can check out as well as the base exchange. I know I can get Krylon, but I'm going to have to buy a can to see what the shading is like. Thanks for the input, this would be so much easier if paints could be bought and shipped through the mail...

7. 92yellowveefer

92yellowveefer New Member

Map
    Yes - I did it myself. Well, me and my brother did. He worked for Sherwin Williams, so I had easy access to all the right stuff, including their automitve coatings. The hardest part is the break down and reinstall - the actual prep and painting is relatively eas. VT Viffer gives all the basic tips and tricks. I stripped my tank completely, but not necessary. Just make sure it's completely sanded and clean, clean, clean. Nothing worse than that one little invisible streak of grease that suddenly causes your freshly sprayed part to bubble up. I applied my graphics over paint and under clear coat - makes it really permanent and the fisnish look really "deep". For the belly panels I used truck bedliner coating - BULLET PROOF. Good luck!

8. douglasthecook

United States
    Map
    Well after a trip to downtown Bitburg and the local Hela Markt I discovered thay carry Dupli-Color paint, and sand paper and bondo and primer and clear coat and!!! So I SHOULD be able to do this for less than 100 Euro, that's including the space heater that I need for my garage, as it's still rather chilly here. The only thing that I'm going to need will be the Honda Wings for the tank, and I'd like to get the VFR Inteceptor stickers that the 5th Gens have. Tapeworks is re working their Honda page at the moment so if any of you guys have any other sources or spares just laying about collecting dust, I'd be more than happy to take tham off your hands!!! Oh, I also checked extememdecals.com as well, but didn't see the 5th Gen VFR decals I was looking for.