Passenger peg delete - DIY

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by austinaw91, Aug 7, 2019.

1. austinaw91

austinaw91 New Member

United States
    Map
    I thought I would share my DIY project of removing the rear passenger pegs from my 5th gen for a more sporty look with the rear cowl on.

1. I purchased a used set of pegs off eBay for $40 shipped.
    2. I hacked off the peg tabs on the exhaust side and used a dremel and orbital sander to smooth it out
    3. I hacked off the peg altogether and ensured the side would be hidden on the left side with the goal to retain functional use of the helmet lock. Then I sanded and smoothed it over.
    4. I sent the parts to a local powder-coater and got them coated gloss black for $30.

FYI - a good set of vice grips will take out the helmet lock bolts which I replaced with some 8mm heads.

Overall, a pretty easy project and I like the results!

PS - yes, I know the cowl isn't installed fully in one picture.

People ask why I can't leave my bike stock...I say it's because stock doesn't rock!

Attached Files:

w3bdevil, mello dude and Thumbs like this.
  2. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    I’ve been thinking of doing this on my 8th gen, not many brackets on eBay.... yet

3. w3bdevil

w3bdevil New Member

Finland
    Map
    Neat mod. I just did the same, except I just removed the exhaust side peg completely and used the mount point for fixing a custom exhaust support bracket I made. As I didn't want to touch the original left side peg at all I bought a used one and also a used helmet/seat lock with key. OEM bolts for the lock were a couple of euros from local Honda repair shop. Only negative is that now I have a separate key for the helmet/seat lock.