Past and hopefully future Interceptor Owner

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by KurtCira, Oct 12, 2009.

1. KurtCira

KurtCira New Member

Hello to all. I'm an older guy compared to many of you, soon to be 57, having a possible second (or is it third) midlife crisis. Familiar thoughts keep bringing me back to days when I had my '83 750 Interceptor (not the 700-thank you for that one Harley-Davidson) and then a '96 VFR. I got them when I I happened to live down the alley from Erik Buell when he was building the RW750 race bike and I was building custom bicycle racing frames in my basement.

All the articles in the magazines the past year or two say Erik began building race bikes in a shed in Mukwanago, but before that he lived on the corner of Humboldt Blvd. and Auer Avenue in Milwaukee. I don't remember offhand when he left for the farm, but I do remember that fall day in 1979 when I came home from a Saturday ride on My 1976 CB750F2 and there were two guys working on a TZ750 outside their garage! I did a double take, made a quick U-turn, introduced myself and started asking questions. One of them was Erik and the other guy was Fritz Huebner, onetime Yamaha factory wrench for Kenny Roberts (he was one of the guys who built up the infamous TZ750 flat tracker). I became good friends with Fritz and hung out with them quite often while Erik talked about his dreams of building race bikes. Then I watched him do it. I saw him get knocked down and pick himself up when the AMA screwed him by changing the 750 class to a 500 class just as he debugged his RW750. I learned a lot hanging out with those two. I admire his creativity and drive, but I've never owned one of his bikes. I kept waiting for him to get his own engine, but I don't think 1125 is the bike for me.

It's now over 25 years later, and now I live in the steamy hell of South Florida (that's what we say during the the Hot-Wet season, one of only two this area is allowed). I find many car drivers have poor skills and knowledge, don't know what a signal is, and have a cell phone glued to their hand which is glued to their ears (glued to their brains, unfortunately). I think I'd actually like to get another VFR, but this time I have my mind set on a nice, visable, bright yellow 2000 800 Interceptor, cherry condition, low miles, owned by an older guy who only occasionally turned up the wick, always kept it in a garage and cleaned it after every ride. :smile: Dealers have been trying to tempt me with a 2007 (in '83 colors) but even at the closeout prices I think I'd actually like a bright yellow 2000 better. It's significantly lighter, easier to push around, is good handling, some say has better powerband than the VTEC. And I think it looks better than the generation 6 bike. So I'll be asking you all some questions and hope you'll be willing to share some of your experience.

2. matt1986vf500f

matt1986vf500f New Member

United States
    Map
    welcome brotha you came to the right place here we all share the same passion and alot of info enjoy your stay :thumbsup:

i've also had a chance to ride the 5th gen VFR gotta say talking to some 6th gen owner
    they say they wished the would've went with the 5th gen great bike loads of torque hnadling is pretty
    good but i've never beeen a fan of the link braking system.

3. park800

park800 New Member

Map
    I'm one of the 6th Gen. owners who loves the 5th, it's a great bike, follow your gut and I think you'll be happy. Good luck on your choice and welcome to the party!

4. steven113

steven113 New Member

That is a very interesting first post! I have always been interested in Erics bikes! He has a great mind for inovation :) too bad he has stuck with that 1200 sportster engine for so long because otherwise I think I would have bought one of his bikes. Im with you on the 1125. Too much for me and is going to need some refinement. Anyways, welcome to the site! You will find a plethera of info here and a number of characters!