People that don't ride motorcycles

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by James Bond, Sep 30, 2019.

1. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Does it ever irk you when someone finds out you ride a motorcycle then they go off on a "those things are so dangerous", or "my best friend was killed because of a motorcycle", or the direct or implied reply that "stupid people ride motorcycles because they're so dangerous". I get so tired of hearing this I just don't ever bring it up. What you never hear is that someone in a cage killed the cyclist.

Ever notice that everyone has a "snake story, a dog story, and a friend that got killed on a motorcycle story"? People seem to have a compelling need to over-talk you with THEIR story. I could give a shit. Just tired of hearing it and venting here, LOL! Ride on!

2. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Agree with you there, my reply. Have you ever ridden one? Apparently Vegans are the worst.

James Bond likes this.
  3. blitz jr

blitz jr New Member

United States
    Map
    I don't care much when people say stuff like that, but it really pisses me off when they say stuff to my wife. Some guy she worked with told her all about my crotch rocket and how dangerous it is. He doesn't ride and knows little about bikes, but two years later I am still dealing with the fallout from that.

4. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    I try to instruct them. Yes, slightly more dangerous but you can cut down on the risk by riding defensively. Around here mostly the motorcycle accidents are because the rider was going too fast or was drunk or both. I have known people that have been hit while walking in a crosswalk. I have known people who have died in cars. Yes, I have known a couple of people who died on motorcycles. Life without risks of any kind is not a life that I want to live. I DO try not to do stupid risks like taking a selfie on a cliff or on the edge of a skyscraper.

James Bond likes this.
  5. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    A quick reply would be that bikes are more inherently stable than cars. That will get them thinking.

James Bond likes this.
  6. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Arguing with an idiot only brings you down to their level.
    Plus, it is well known that you can't fix stupid.

Of course there are stupid riders. But on the whole I think MC riders tend to be smarter than the average bear.
    Maybe that is just wishful thinking.

Don't let the bastards get you down.
    All you gotta do is simply smile and say, fuck you! ;)

James Bond likes this.
  7. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    "But on the whole I think MC riders tend to be smarter than the average bear."

Can you honestly think that as you pass a gaggle of Harley riders? Or a squad of squids?

James Bond and Mind_Surfer like this.
  8. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Some pretty good come backs here. I also like, "fuck you". Hardley's aren't motorcycles....they're junk.

Anyone that rides a motorcycle is a far better defensive rider/driver.

9. cat0020

cat0020 Trumper

United States
    Map
    Goes to show, not all opinions are valid.

I get it at every family reunion, relatives who never ridden a bicycle or motorcycle tell me:
    Those things are so dangerous, why are you still riding them?
    You're gonna kill yourself on those things one day.

Same questions for over 20 years.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  10. Aced It

Aced It New Member

United States
    Map
    I was in line at the grocery store the other day, holding my helmet, gloves, wearing my jacket, back-pack, etc. The guy behind me asks if I ride. ... duh ... I answered with, "Nah. I'm a referee for my son's dodge-ball team." Then it starts. He says he used to ride until he laid the bike down and that it's just too dangerous down here (south Florida). I answered him back that it's only as dangerous as you make it. He took a bit of defense on that comment, but I explained that it's not up to drivers to watch us, WE have to watch them. He says you couldn't pay him enough to get back on a bike. I rolled my eyes and just turned forward in line again. I honestly don't even think this guy knew the tail-end of a Harley dresser from a Vespa. He was just one of those "talkers". Fuckin' people. I'm going to start asking everyone I meet if they drive a car and then bitch about how dangerous it is with all the drunk, drug-impaired, distracted, speeding, drowsy, etc. drivers there are.

James Bond likes this.
  11. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    I think VFR4Lee addresses this pretty well: "you can't fix stupid" and, I agree, a simple "fuck you" might be appropriate now and then. That's essentially what they're telling us with nosey stupid comments.

I do believe that living life in whatever a totally safe environment might be would be pretty dull and not worth living. I'm a free spirit that enjoys doing things my way. Approval seeking is for weak people. Ride on!

VFR4Lee and Aced It like this.