Pics Yamaha R1 Front End On My 2007

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by CandyRedRC46, Dec 19, 2013.

1. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    So i finally got around to doing the brake delink and USD Fork and Radial brakes conversion that I have been dreaming of for a long time. My bike is a 2007 non-abs model. I used a 2005 R1 forks, wheel and brakes, CBR929 triple trees and custom spacers. The brake delink was a pain to get the proportioning valves out from under the subframe, and the lower triple tree steering stops had to be about 50% ground away to get full range of motion, also the oil cooler mounts needed to be lowered out of the way. I have Dan Moto clip ons and they needed a lot of adjusting to make sure that they dont foul up on any of the fairings, as well as the throttle and brake lines (I have to steel braided lines coming off of a brembo radial master cylinder). Anyways here are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Congrats, CR. I know you're always looking to improve upon your VFR as well as your quest for better QM times.

So being that I have no knowledge of changes this in depth, what was the purpose? Was if solely or breaking benefits? Does it change the height, and therefore the handling (presumably for the better). Was there any weight savings?

(see how I set you up to be able to brag about all your changes!) lol

3. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Sweet!-----

4. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    lol thanks Pliskin. forks and wheel themselves weighed exactly the same as the factory forks and wheel. but ditching the linked brakes dropped about 10 pounds off of the bike. that extra front master cylinder attached to the fork, extra lines, and extra proportioning valves add a lot of clutter and weight to the bike. i had no idea before doing this, but there is a cast iron subframe with two proportioning valves attached to it, buried under the seat.

also doing the brake delink simplifies the whole braking system and brake bleeding as well.
    as far as handling goes, the front end is now fully adjustable. the sprung weight has been greatly reduced. the forks have about 50% more overlap and the triple trees are much wider and beefier for much more rigidity.
    another added bonus the bottom triple tree is now aluminum instead of cast iron, so another couple pounds off the bike.
    these R1 brakes are fucking phenomenal!
    and from a cosmetic standpoint, i think it looks great. :sentimental:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  5. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    as far as ride height and stuff goes, the R1 forks are about an inch shorter, but the cbr triple trees have a gullwing shape to make up for this. there is more offset in the cbr triple trees, though, so i am not too sure how this affects everything, but it feels pretty good! lol

6. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    heres some pics showing the rear brake set up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    so does anyone want dibs on the left over factory stuff?

[​IMG]

8. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    I need a fender but yours is too purdy. That said, shoot me a PM with cost including shipping to 13669.

And if anyone want to do this same mod, I have a lower 929 triple sitting in my garage.

9. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice work Candy Red, Very cool upgrade. It makes sense and just seems right.
    I should get off my lazy ass and do something to my 5th Gen. Hell , it still has the original fork oil in it!
    I am curious about the rear brake. I understand the plumbing but what does it feel like when you're riding?
    After 15 years on my VFR I'm still not a big fan of linked brakes so I'ld like to imagine your set up has at least a little "feel" when you press the pedal.

10. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    pm has been sent

11. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    After the delink, the rear brake was pretty bad with the stock rear master and just 2 pistons. Now, with the stock rear master and all three pistons plumbed in, it works alright. The feel and effort isn't superb, but its okay. After I get all the old left over parts sold, I will pick up an f4i rear master cylinder, to get that "just right" feel. But, this is okay for now. It works.

Regarding doing your bike, check out what mello dude did:

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthre...s-Delinking-Brake-Saga-and-the-Interceptor-SS

To say the least, you should change you fork fluid! :playful: lol

12. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    does anyone want my motad header? lol

13. Guj

Guj New Member

Absolutely!

PM sent.

14. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    pm has been replied

15. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    So something about this front end. I know I am going to get flamed hard for this, but when ever I get the front wheel off the ground, when I touch back down, no matter how softly I set it back down, it is like hitting a brick wall. I need to figure this out. It is really loud and feels awful, like I am slamming the bike back down, even though I am not. The factory front end did not do this. Maybe I need more spring rate, preload, compression or thicker fluid? I do not know. Everything feels good when driving normally, but come down easily off a wheelie and it sounds like I am bottoming out hard. The forks have racetec 1k springs in them. I weigh 165 fully geared and my vfr is about the same curb weight as the R1, or at least not that much more.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  16. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Some guesses -- First what shock are you running? Also if its still OEM, you might want to spent some bucks for a shock upgrade. The fr/rr needs to be a balanced system to get full benefit. If its not, the bike may even feel worse. Next thought -- 1 k is probably too stiff for 165 lbs rider, consider going to a .9 spring -
    Mbe contact JD too.

17. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    I still have the oem shock. It is awful and on the way out. As soon as I get all the old stuff sold, I will pick up a new aftermarket shock. The previous owner of the forks said he weighed 240 geared up and had them on a 4th gen, so the spring rate might be too high, but they do feel fine around town.

18. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    That's whats going on.. the forks are tuned for someone weighing 240, def springs too stiff, possible too much or wrong viscosity fork oil, etc. PLUS - the flabby rear shock. Its a big unbalanced system. Too loose in the rear and too stiff in the front. So, you have a few things to get sorted out.

19. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    So put the bike in the air today and pulled off the forks. Pulled off the fork caps and guess what? The damping rods had come loose... Both of them! So that is why the front end was bottoming out and making loud banging noises and feelings when ever the front tire came off the ground and made contact again. The previous owner had probably just threaded them into the first couple turns just to make the sale, as doing it properly is nearly impossible with out the specific spring compressor and damping rod tool. It is my fault for not fully inspecting the forks before just slapping them on the bike, but man the previous owner was either a complete idiot or a complete scum bag, because he told me that he went through them before sending them out and specifically told me that he fastened the damping rods to the fork caps. Also they were less than half full of fluid, which was extremely dirty (PO said they only had 1000-2000 miles on them since assembly). This is all pretty troubling since the lowers were only being held on to the bike by the brake lines and fell off as soon as Pulled off the wheel and calipers. Anyways, I have had enough and I am going to drop the forks off at a shop tomorrow to have the forks properly assembled.

20. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    ^^ holy shit!