Pilot Road 2CT

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by WVFR, Mar 21, 2007.

1. WVFR

WVFR New Member

2. brianereed

brianereed New Member

I have not heard of these yet. But I do have a new rear Bridgestone 021 being put on today. I'll have a full report in a couple of months.

3. VaRollOn

VaRollOn New Member

United States
    Map
    worth reading thanks!

4. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    I am going to try these once my Z6's are done.

5. nvoges

nvoges New Member

Has anybody tried these yet? I'd like to purchase a new set of tires this week and was wondering if anyone had tried these. FYI: I live in central Ohio which is mostly straight and flat. My normal commute involves spirited driving through few curves, but I like to get out on the weekends and carve a corner or two. My last set of tires had pronounced cupping on the rear and I was wondering if these are the answer????

6. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I may be wrong but I thought these were a sport and track tire.
    MD

7. amurch1

amurch1 New Member

United States
    Map
    tried to get then....not aval until sept.

8. timwat

timwat New Member

I have the 2tc on the rear, and one of my riding partners (zx10r) has the standard pilot power (non 2tc). Compared to the standard, the 2tc is building up a way stickier, gummier surface on about the last inch of each side of the tread surface. Very nice and confidence inspiring.

But I was recently talking with Chris at Milipitas Honda, he says he's heard better feedback on the Pirelli Diablo Corsa III, which is also a two compound tread. Supposedly the Corsa's softer shoulder extends further into the center than the Michelin, and users tell him it heats up very quickly and is gummy as all get out once it does.

When I wear through the pilots I'm planning to try the Corsas unless I read a bunch of negative reviews before then.

amurch, I picked up the Michelins at my local Cycle Gear in Pacheco, and I'm betting Milpitas Honda may have both the pilot and the corsa in stock.

Best to you.

Tim

9. MJB's 98 VFR

MJB's 98 VFR New Member

I am running Dunlop 220's front and rear and have had great success with them. I did a 5000 mile ride across the country and still have a great amount of tread left on them. THere is a small flat spot on the tires, but this is after about 7000 on them. I used to run the Dunlop 208's (the previous version of the new Qualifier) and they had great grip, but were shot after a few thousand miles. I have noticed no loss in grip in the 220's and would recommend them to any VFR owner.

Just some food for thought.......

10. WVFR

WVFR New Member

Looks like my plans to wait till fall and buy a pair of the new Pilot Roads is shot to pieces. On the way back from Moto GP at Laguna my rear Bridgestone 014 corded and I had to stop and get some new shoes for the VFR. Since the 014 lasted only 2700 miles I went with the Metzler Z6. I have never had a tire wear out as quick as the 014 did! I think it was a combination of high speeds over groved concrete and the bike loaded down with luggage. I guess that is to be expected from a sport tire? Looks like I'll have to wait till spring to try the new Pilot Roads when the Z6's are worn out.

11. WVFR

WVFR New Member

You are thinking of the Pilot Power 2CT, not the Pilot Road 2 that we are talking about.

12. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Thanks - I thought I saw something on the Road 2. Sticktion is supposed to split between a full sport tire and a sport tour tire.

MD

13. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    On my CA trip, viffer loaded down with luggage and us fools burning the twists and speeding in hot weather, I shreaded a Dunlop 207 rear in 1800 miles. I earned a flat at Glacier Point in Yosemite! That was an adventure....

MD

14. indyvfr

indyvfr New Member

United States
    Map
    Pilot Road 2s are here!

I got lucky yesterday and was able to purchase a set of the new Michelin Pilot Road 2s from Competition Accessories. $331 shipped to me. Not cheap, but hopefully cheaper than throwing a new set of sport tires on every 2,500 miles. I ride a lot of flat roads and commute to work, but tear up the twisties on the weekend, with an occasional road trip. I called several places and I got their last set of 120/70 and 180/55 ZR 17s. Otherwise, they are backordered nationwide until mid October. The rear tread has 7 mm of tread depth in the center and the front has 5 mm. I really like the tread pattern of them and I'm looking forward to writing a review on them once I put on about 1,500 miles during a weekend trip in 2 weeks. Meanwhile, here are some pics of them. I've never been so excited about new tires!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    They should last much longer, talking to a Superblackbird mate who trashes Pilot Powers every 4000Km's was upto 4500km's on the Road 2's and they still looked good. Even better he also mentioned that they were as grippy as his previous Powers through the twisties and on the track.

Sounds like having your cake and eating it to so I'll be putting them on my VFR when my current Powers wear out.

16. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    My stocker rear Dunlop 205 is going to be done in a week after 8K miles. I have a set of the PRoad 2's from Parts411 in the garage for a shoe change this week. As I paged through my Cycle World, there's a VFR picture with an article on the Michelins. They said good things too, especially in the wet...

We'll see if I get many miles on them before it gets colder than my commute can take.

17. double-v-twin

double-v-twin New Member

On my last VFR i have the Z4 (wood tyre :biggrin: ).
    I feel me not good with the Z4.
    Now on my new Bike i would from the beginning a good tyre.
    My choice fell on the MPR2.
    I drive the MPR2 now 2000 KM and i must say it's a great tyre, i found my tyre for the Bike.

Greets Klaus

18. stephanon2whls

stephanon2whls New Member

United States
    Map
    Any updates on performance after a season on these tires ?

-Stephan

19. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    I've got over 5K miles on my set and couldn't be happier. Normally I have to replace the rear right at 5K and the Pilot Road rear still has plenty of life. I'm guessing I'll get another 1500 out of it. Front looks even better probably get another 2500 out of it. They still handle well and the edges are still sticky. Unless something weird happens as they wear further I'll defiantly get another rear, probably go with a Pilot Power up front to quicken up the steering a little.

Action

20. Rextasy

Rextasy New Member

I have a set on the way. Can't wait to get them on next week.