Possible bad earth?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Gazkent, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Gazkent

Gazkent New Member

France
    Hi everyone

I have a 2002 VFR Vtec 800 which has just started having some very strange problems, I won't go into them all at the moment but I am suspecting a bad earth, if I disconnect the fuel pump I do have voltage on the earth and it will pass around 1/4 of an amp if connected to the bike frame, I am trying to trace the other end of the fuel pump earth and have read somewhere that there is an earth block in the wiring harness somewhere near the battery, can anyone confirm this? I have found the one at the front near the ABS electronics but this is not the end point of the fuel pump earth.

Any help appreciated, let me know if any more information needed

Thanks

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I looked at the wiring diagram in the manual, and the fuel pump shares a common earth path that appears to terminate in the common block that you've already found. The 5th gen VFR has a similar earth block but it is located on the left rear below the seat near the battery, which is what you may be thinking of.

What issues are you having?

3. Gazkent

Gazkent New Member

France
    Thanks for the reply

Many problems (which was why I didn't list them) intermittent but when it is happening the fuel pump continues to run when you turn the ignition on but slower than usual (i.e. does not stop after about 3 seconds) , I measured the current when it is running like this and the pump is drawing less than usual (cannot remember the exact figues) but there is more current than usual flowing in total from the battery and I am not sure where it is going! Also, the bike will start but will stop if you turn on the lights or even operate the brake light, I did take the common bus connector off of the earth block that I found at the front but the earth from the pump is still connected to ground so I thought that there may be another common earth (as the one I read about near the battery), I ran a separate feed to the fuel pump (new wire from the pump relay to the pump and a new wire straight to earth) pump then ran at normal speed but I was getting a low (about 8 volts I think) on the original pump earth, when I measured the current I was getting about 1/4 amp from the pump earth to the bike earth. With all these issues I thought a possible cause was a bad earth so am trying to find the other end of the pump earth and go from there.
    So as far as you know is there not another common earth block on my VFR? (mine is a 2002 Vtec with ABS which I believe makes it 6th gen?)

Any help appreciated!

4. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Certainly does sound like your common earth is at fault. It is not unheard of for owners to remove the common bus, and solder all the earths together and run a new lead from there to a chassis grounding point.

The best electrical expert on bike forums that I know of is Grum on the VFRDiscussion website. He's in Australia so likely to be active now if you wanted to post your query there.

jstehman likes this.
  5. Gazkent

Gazkent New Member

France
    Thanks for the pointer, have posted there.

6. Gazkent

Gazkent New Member

France
    Hi
    Just for info, I think I have finally found the fault!!
    Managed to eventually dig out the earth block between the frame and the engine and that was a bit burnt, have joined them together with a couple of connectors at the moment (will solder later) but seems to have cured the problem.
    Have posted a couple of pics in case this helps anyone else out.

Attached Files: