Possible starter rebuild?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by joey meckels, Dec 22, 2018.

1. joey meckels

joey meckels New Member

United States
    So I bought an 86 vf500f it runs great. With the colder temps and our winter rain storms I parked it under a tarp up next to our house where it stays out of the rain. 3 weeks have past and I decided to start it up and put a few miles on it between the rain storms. It would start every morning choke on and 2 minutes later it was good to go. But this time it did not want to start at all, ok I get that. I hook up jumper cables, wait a minute and try a few more times, nope. Wait a few minutes, the starter started slowing down, and I thought the battery had died again. I waited a for more minutes but now just the relay clicks but the starter does nothing. I tried bridging the starter relay with a screwdriver but nothing. Do I need to replace the starter, rebuild it or is there something else I should look at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    jumper cables to what ?? have you checked battery voltage with a meter?? u might need a new battery, not a starter.

joey meckels likes this.
  3. joey meckels

joey meckels New Member

United States
    Sorry I did not specify, the jumper cables were hooked up to one of our cars while it was running. Like how I have always jumped any other vehicle.
    However I was thinking. Since my bike was basically hooked up to a good battery by the jumper cables ( 2month old battery in our car) IF the bikes battery is bad this SHOULD have kicked the starter over, correct?
    I was a bit pissed at myself for letting the poor bike sit for 3 weeks and this happening. Like I said it ran fantastically 3 weeks ago. I didn’t want to get any rain under the seat so I buttoned it back up and covered the bike when it started raining so I didn’t get a chance to check voltage. I’m going to check today between rain showers.

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    car shouldn't be running when jumping to a bike.

Mind_Surfer likes this.
  5. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Agreed car shouldn’t be running if jumping.
    Before doing anything else recharge bike battery and try again.

The starter ideally shouldn’t be turned over for any length of time usually no more the 10 seconds cranking at a time.

Relay clicking signs of a flat battery.

joey meckels likes this.
  6. joey meckels

joey meckels New Member

United States
    Ok, thanks guys. I just learned that you shouldn’t have the jumping car running, I have always kept the jumping car at an idle to help nudge the dead car and keep it from draining the battery.