possible to repair carb mixture screws ?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by chuntera, May 27, 2009.

1. chuntera

chuntera New Member

United States
    Map
    The grey cap that covers the idle mixture screw on my carbs have come loose---the caps spin but the screws do not turn.

Should I:
    - remove the caps? Supposedly you can drill them out but I'm not sure the brass screws underneath are slotted

- glue/epoxy the caps in place? I have doubts this would hold since eventually gas will get on the screws.

I have a 87 vfr700.

PS.
    Here's a great photo of the idle mixture screw cap shamelessly stolen from TOECUTTER on this forum
    http://vfrworld.com/forums/attachme...221d1240464529-cleaning-carbs-100_0532-1-.jpg

2. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Map
    There is no shame in stealing from TOECUTTER, we all do it.

Yes, drill and remove them with easy outs. replace and you will be fine. There are some seriously nice epoxys and glues out now a days but, Im a bit old fashioned, and wouldnt trust it, while im going (THE EXACT SPEED LIMIT) <--edited

3. masonv45

masonv45 New Member

Replace the metal caps over the pilot screws with black plastic 1/4" caps from any hardware store. They go "inside" the bore over the brass screws and look OEM. They have a little lip for removing them later.