Possible Voltage Regulator Problem? blew both headlights

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by the496rocket, Mar 16, 2009.

1. the496rocket

the496rocket New Member

Hi, this is my first post so bear with me, I have a 94 VFR750F, late last fall got home from riding, smelled a bad battery sulfur smell, REAL strong, looked at my battery and it was hot and boiling, was less than a year old, let it cool and removed it and pulled the vents and the battery is dry as a bone and the cells are all white, junk. Also my friend i was riding with told me my headlights werent working, parked it for the winter, just got it out, got a new battery, pulled out the lights, and both low beams are blown, and the glass next to the filament is bulged out big time, Seems like they both got hot as heck and then blew, high beam are good but never had those on. wondering if I have an overcharging issue and that ruined the battery as well.

It currently has 14.5V at idle and 14.3V once revved up. is this normal range?

Possible intermitten voltage regulator or stator failing? Any help greatly appreaciated.

Eric

2. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Those symptoms sound like there is way over charging going on.

3. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Eric:

The readings are good (14.3 to 14.5 volts) but is that when you just fire the bike up?

Take it for a ride and once it is warmed up, then put the multimeter on the terminals and take another reading.

The RR's can work one minute, then not the next.

Try that and we'll go from their.

BZ

4. Nitrousva

Nitrousva New Member

Map
    When my r/r went last year, it took out both low beam lights too, the highs were still good. Sounds like a r/r. too me.

Robert

5. the496rocket

the496rocket New Member

vfr

Ok I should know this but what do you mean by R/R? voltage regulator / rectifier? My acronyms are bad haha

Ill chec on that tonight, I might be able to hook a DVOM to the batter and keep an eye on it while I ride and see it it will spike.

6. Rev

Rev New Member

Have you looked at the R/R? If you have enough voltage running through the system that it melts the headlights, then there is likely damage to it and/or the connectors. I'd also give the entire wire harness a good once-over. It's interesting to me what happened to the old battery. I've never heard of all the acid boiling out of a battery before.