(Possibly) tweeking my new (used) VFR

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by djenkins, Feb 18, 2016.

1. djenkins

djenkins New Member

I am the proud new owner of a 2007 Honda VFR800 ABS. It's the first motorcycle I've owned in 20 years. I hope to use it for enjoying the many lovely roads we have within a day's ride of my home near Pittsburgh, and for longer trips of a week or more, maybe even someday to the west coast and back. I picked this VFR, after years of agonizing over which bike to get, because the price was very reasonable, mileage is low (only 7200), condition is excellent, handling, engine and reliability should be exceptional, it has ABS (a must for me), and the ruby red color is to die for.

Although I have yet to ride it (sorry, I'm not taking it out when the temperature is -2 F), I'm already considering making a few changes. First, the seating position is a bit more forward than I think I would prefer. I'm reserving judgment until I've gotten a few longer rides under my belt and riding pants, but in case I need to move the grips back, are Helibars the best option?

Also, the previous owner removed the baffles from the stock mufflers, then discarded them. It might be a little loud for my taste. It does quiet down after it warms up, but still may be too loud for me, and it may not pass Pennsylvania inspection. The engine does sound amazing, just maybe a bit too amazing. I've scanned the usual web sites (ebay, revzilla, etc.) for replacement slip-on mufflers and it seems the choices are limited to an OEM pair, which would certainly work and be the least expensive option, or a few aftermarket makers, some of which may not be good choices. Two Brothers, for example, posts a warning stating that "Two Brothers Racing has always disclaimed the street legality of their exhausts and related products. Two Brothers Racing exhaust systems have always been labeled and marketed for competition use only and are not and have never been legal for use on public roads." That would seem to rule them out. Judging from various YouTube videos, GPR's and Leo Vince's sound great even with a dB killer, but I'm not sure they're available any more for my bike. I know this topic is a reliable chestnut, but I'd be grateful for any advice in case I decide to spring for a new exhaust.

(My benchmark for vehicle sound is the music that came from the Ferrari 2 + 2 once owned by a neighbor. Even though he lived a block and half away, you could always hear when he came home. It wasn't really loud, just uniquely beautiful, like no other engine I've ever heard. I don't want to wake the neighbors, just make them jealous.)

Can't wait for Spring.

Dave

2. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    During the winter hit the the hip abduction machine at the gym. Or at home put a pillow between your legs and squeeze that. Build those muscles that squeeze the tank. Riding with a good grip on the tank will take much of the weight off of your hands and back. Then you may or may not still want a bar change.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  3. Underoath87

Underoath87 New Member

United States
    Map
    For the riding position: the stock seat just slopes forward and rams your nuts into the tank. I have a Corbin seat and it is much better.

Yes, Helibars are the best option for raising the bars.

And I believe that the baffles are built into the stock exhaust and only removable with power tools (so they cannot be replaced).
    Can you post a video with audio so we can hear how loud this thing is?
    I think all aftermarket options are much louder than stock, even with the silencers.

4. djenkins

djenkins New Member

This is a terrific suggestion. I'll try it.

Sorry it took me so long to reply.

5. djenkins

djenkins New Member

The guy who sold me the bike warned me that the seat wasn't very comfortable. He said he had a Sargent on another bike which was excellent. I think I see either a Sargent or a Corbin in my future.

I'll fire it up today or tomorrow and take a video of it running. I might even get to ride it for the first time!

6. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I bought a Saddleman refinishing kit for my stock seat. It helps a lot - check it out before you go with a Corbin or Sargent. I don't regret my purchase and I put on a LOT of miles every year.

Regarding the bars, if you have the coin then buy Convertibars. You have WAY more adjustment and range with them. I had a set on my old bike and I miss them dearly. I have HeliBars now, and while they're good, they're just not the same as the Convertibars.

7. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
  8. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    No photos, don't believe this is to be an issue. I'd just ride it before making any moves, It just may be your cup a tea after 20 years. Sitting on a bike and actually riding it believe it or not are two different animals. Now go have some fun. but, on the exhaust bit. bet you might find some one here that has a set of stock ones just laying around, LOL, the first thing most VFR owners change is the exhaust. Now seats, that's getting kinda personal.

9. djenkins

djenkins New Member

I changed the oil in it yesterday (took the entire afternoon, but nothing is leaking and there are no left-over bolts or clips) and then rode it twice around the block. Stalled three times--it will take a little practice to get used to the clutch, throttle, and torque at low rpm. It goes exactly where you point it, just what I expected from a VFR. And I didn't notice the seating position, which tells me it's probably just right.

I'm going to take it for a longer ride today, where there's an empty parking lot to practice low-speed turns, stops and starts. But first impression is that it really is too loud for my taste. I'm going to try to attach a video I took of it idling yesterday. (Sorry about the messy garage, spring cleaning is on my to-do list for the weekend, and for the image being cockeyed. Just tilt your head 90 degrees left and it will look fine.)

I'll poke around VFRWorld to see if anyone has an '07 oem exhaust they'd like to unload. I found one on e-bay for about $140 delivered; I was hoping for something closer to $100.

How complicated is replacing the exhaust? I can do basic stuff like oil changes, used to once do all my own maintenance on cars and bikes, but age and painful experience has taught that some things are best left to experts.

10. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    I suggest that you tune the starter valves. The idle torque and partial throttle response may be adversely affected if this was not synchronized by the prior owner.

Another inborn issue is gearing. The bike is heavy and geared for high speed. I just thought I would mention this in case you end up doing a lot of city riding. In that case replacing sprockets with shorter gearing will allow less clutch in stop and go riding.

11. djenkins

djenkins New Member

I called my local Honda dealer, just a few miles away, and scheduled to have the 8,000 mile general inspection with a brake fluid replacement done next week. I also asked the service department guy about tuning the starter valves. He said "what's that?" Not having done my homework (bad on me) and expecting a qualified mechanic would know anyway, I said I didn't know. Maybe he said my contact from VFRWorld was confusing this bike with an older carburated one.

Now I've done my homework and found a helpful YouTube video on tuning the starter valves. Since this procedure requires special instruments it's not something I'm going to do myself. When I take it in next week, if this shop still doesn't know what tuning starter valves means after I explain it, there are several other Honda dealers in the area, one of which is sure to know. I also know a crack mechanic who works on my car and is into bikes--he'll surely know, and maybe has the tools.

I'll also ask about changing the sprocket to something more traffic friendly. I live 4 miles from downtown Pittsburgh and expect to ride in traffic often, as well as longer trips into the country. Racing isn't on my horizon (though there is a track nearby which I admit would be fun to take the bike around at embarrassingly slow speed).

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate it.

12. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    I have a very good independent mechanic, but him, not being a VFR guy said the same thing. "It runs fine, it doesn't need that." Needless to say I am having someone else tune the bike this year. Ironic to your mechanic's comment: This is the idle control circuit for Honda's fuel injected bikes, as the carbs have idle mixture and air controls.

You'll want to look at recommendations on these forums for quality sprocket suppliers. I've been warned to not go with aluminum but stick with steel due to life.

I have -1 tooth in front. While changing the front is a little more aggressive than changing the rear, I am pretty happy with this gearing overall. There is no extra clutching needed at lights but the freeway RPM is not too high. You can go with something like +2, or +3 in the rear, or -1 in the front. I would not do any more than one of these changes though as you don't want to wheelie around town nor generate ridiculously high RPM on the freeway. One other consideration is the front sprocket may (not sure for your vehicle) have a rubber bushing on it which reduces noise. If you want to keep this OEM silencer, than swap the rear sprocket.
    [/quote]

13. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Every time I see the title of this thread, I wonder how one would "Twerk their new (used) VFR" ... then I realize I've had far too much to drink it and actually says TWEAK. :)

14. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    He spelled it with 2 "e"s. That is what is messing with your mind which isn't used to seeing it. In addition to the booze.

15. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Harleydoods twerk their bikes and each other. It's part of the bonding process.

16. djenkins

djenkins New Member

Unless it involves Sophia Vargara, I'm not twerking anyone or anything.

17. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    [video=youtube;STSy1FPHmF8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STSy1FPHmF8[/video]