Power Commander??

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Guest, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Just recently purchased an '02 VFR, and am wondering if anyone has put a Power Commander on an '02, or '03? I have seen that Power Commanders have been installed on pre - '02 models, but have not seen where anyone has done it on an '02 or '03. I'm thinking about the Staintune pipe, K & N Filter, and the Power Commander. Any thoughts??
    Thanks,
    Mitch

2. waldrm

waldrm New Member

I have the same combination you are proposing on my '98. While I am sure there is a dyno difference, the biggest change I see in street riding is a smoother, less hesitant throttle response especially in the midrange. Staintune pipe definitely works better with the restrictor in and is aggressive sounding without being annoying.

3. Jozef

Jozef New Member

I looked into these basic same modifications myself. Piecing together from several sites I was able to conclude the following: it will sound better be, marginally lighter, but little else. With the Power Commander you need to remove the O2 sensors and either live with the FI light on or use O2 sensor eliminators. Some reported a smoother power delivery at lower rpms but that was just seat of the pants. One of the issues is that with the modern fuel injected bikes the exhaust and intake flow are worked out to a high degree so that aftermarket products make little improvement in performance, if any. Used to be opening up the exhaust and letting it breathe was a quick way to extra horses but no more. However the sound of an aftermarket pipe can’t be beat.

The Power Commander has little effect mainly because of the ability of the Honda system to learn and adjust. Which is also why if you just replace the air cleaner and the pipes the system will learn the new configuration and adjust to it without the need for further modifications. Should you go with the Power Commander unit you can self install but I would recommend doing it only if you had a tuning center nearby so that it can be set using a dyno.

4. Rumblefish

Rumblefish New Member

Map
    Hey,
    I have a '99 Viffer. I was going to install a PCII. I was talked out of it for basically the same reasons mentioned above. For me, dropping the front sprocket 1 tooth, adding a Yosh slip-on and K&N air filter was all the boost I needed. As Jozef said, no other mods were needed.
    My baby runs smooth as silk and has plenty of kick ;D
    Just passing that along
    RF ;)

5. Qwerty111

Qwerty111 New Member

I have a 2000 VFR with a K&N filter and a Two Brothers slip-on.  I put the PCM II on the bike and was very very disappointed.  I thought it was a waste of money.  I had a local Dyna-Jet approved shop do a custom map for the PCM.   This was a bigger waste of money.  My bike runs better without the PCM.   Would you like to buy a slightly used PCM II with custom map for a 2000 VFR.   Also, I spent lots of time on the phone with Dyna-Jet in Las Vegas trying to correct low end hesitation.  As soon as I reconnected the O2 sensors and the original ECM the problem went away.   For a basically stock bike (slip-on and air filter), I don't think you CAN,T beat the stock ECM for overall performance.   Before buying the PCM, I spoke to the techs at Dyna-Jet regarding what I should expect.  They stated that I wouldn't get much in the way of performance improvement, however, it will smooth things out.  They were right that there would be minimal/any  performance improvement.  They were very wrong about smoothing things out.    

6. Verry_Fast_Ride

Verry_Fast_Ride New Member

What??
    OK, I know NOTHING about VFRs, other than they are cool and WAY more comfortable than GSXRs, but I have had several FI bikes, and I have to vehemently disagree with this statement. Most FI bikes, just like most carb bikes are "jetted" from the factory to pass noise and emmisions requierments under partial throtle (midrange) conditions. The bikes are designed to have less power in the midrange too keep smog and noise down under these tesat conditions. In every case I have heard about, altering the FI/jetting has resulted in an increase in mid range power, if not top end. Additionally, increasing air flow out of and into the engine without increasing the amount of fuel delivered is "bad for" the engine. (This exhausts my knowledge on the particulars of that. It has been expalined repeatedly to me, but I am to dumb to retain). Now, the VTEC VFRs might have super adaptive air-flow computers that have sekf-destructing restrictor programs (wich would make them even cooler, but most FI bike certainly do not.

7. Qwerty111

Qwerty111 New Member

Do you want to buy my PC II and custom map for a 2000 VFR?  The dyno results did not improve in any significant fashion and the bike was not as smooth after installing the PC II. I want $35 plus shipping. I don't think you can beat the stock ECM for overall performance.

8. Verry_Fast_Ride

Verry_Fast_Ride New Member

I might.... just not yet. Before you give up, make sure that the guy running the computer is putting in the time an dknows what he's doing. I had a PC on a bike and it was prof. tuned at a reputible shop and it WAS better than stock,but was still lacking. I sold that bike to a buddy of mine who had a great relationship with his tuner and the thing was spot-on !! 100% differance, all in the way the thing was set up.

9. Qwerty111

Qwerty111 New Member

I had the map done at a reputable garage that had   people experienced with the PCM and that had Dyna Jet training.  I quess that I could go to another shop and have another map done.  However, how much is this process worth?  Even Dyna Jet said that there wouldn't be much performance improvement with a stock bike that has only a slip-on and K&N filter.  The techs at  Dyna Jet said the PCM would smooth out the power band but not sigificantly improve performance.  I think I've spent enough in an attempt to smooth things out.  I thought it would be an easy process.  i.e. The available maps would work.  What if the next shop doesn't do any better?  The results reported by others that have tried the PCM are mixed.  I think that some of the positive reports are based upon gut feeling and not hard dyno supported facts.  I still have the PCM for sale.      

10. RC51Pilot

RC51Pilot New Member

At any rate, I haven't looked into the PC for a 2003 VFR, but I would imagine it's a PC3R for this model. It may be a little more effective than the PCII on the 2000.

So to ask the original question again, has anyone done it to an '02 or '03?????

As a side note, on my '01 RC51 a PCII definitely made a huge difference. I put it on before I added pipes and it smoothed out the notchy throttle and removed a flat spot around 5-6K using the stock map. When I put a set of Hindles on it, I switched to the Dan Kyle Sato map and it was excellent all around. The midrange was improved immensely although the gas mileage went way down, although it was poor to begin with ;)

11. Guest

Guest Guest

I have installed the power commander on my 03 and I have to say WOW!! The bike is like night and day. The transition from 2 to 4 valves or VTEC @7 grand is smooth and effortless. The deadspot from 5-7 grand has also been smoothed out. The acceleration is more responsive and the bike just flat out gets up faster! The install was a little tricky but now that I know what I am doing I could do it in half the time....

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey, Bella 03, what was the model power commander you purchased? Did it come with all the connectors, cables, etc? I'm interested in the same mod.

13. bporter

bporter New Member

I have an '02 VFR and I'm really getting annoyed with the part throttle stumble/hesitation problem. (which sounds like a very common problem in 6th gens)

Did the Power Commander / O2 elims fix this problem?

14. Webbfire2004

Webbfire2004 New Member

Map
    I own a black 2002 VFR800. I was very happy with the bike in stock form but wanted to improve the looks / performance. I first installed a Two Brothers Racing
    " The Stash " slip on exhaust. I really liked the appearance, the sound, the 5 kg weight saving and the extra storage in the fake can. Performance increase was negligable. I then installed a Power Commander unit and K&N Air Filter. Again, power increase was negligable but the engine seemed somewhat smoother. I love the bikes dual personality with the VTEC. My advice is to save your Power Commander money and instead invest in the Zero Gravity Double Bubble windscreen.