Power Commander?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Kevin_70, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

I've got a few hundred bucks free to mod my bike, am leaning towards a PCIII. The bike is currently completely stock, is it even worth getting since it's all stock? I've got not real complaints about the VTEC, flat spots, etc., but would eventually like to increase power. Some of what I've read about mapping issues has got me a little worried though, I'd hate to spend the $$ and learn I've only bought myself a headache.

Any thoughts??

2. WVFR

WVFR New Member

I don't have one but have been reading up on them since it's the next thing on my list.

I've read that if you can get your bike on a DynoJet dyno they can easily custom map it to get rid of the lean spots, etc. Also read that the stock map that will come with it will cure 95% of the bikes bad characteristics. If you are trying to increase power then I would first get an exhaust and then have the custom mapping done.

3. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

Thanks for the info WVFR, that's encouraging to hear about the stock mapping. I'd considered the exhaust, but I know with the slip ons it's a marginal performance increase at best and I'm not ready to take out a 2nd mortgage on my home to buy a complete exhaust system.

4. canib

canib New Member

Map
    WVFR has it dead on. The PCIII was the first after market bit I put on and I'm glad of it. Honda kinda cheated with the mapping to meet emissions and noise laws for CARB 2008. This cuased flat spots, 'snatchiness', and low end burbles that some people notice and other don't. I totally noticed the snatchiness and burbles. (snatchiness = you surge forward when you let of the gas in the lsightlest. burbles = stuttering or not enough power with low RPMs). I didn't notice the flat spot in the middle range at all until I put on the H&N air filter, and I noticed the lack of flat spot.

The cool thing is that as you mod your bike you can upgrade your maps, if you are into that. I didn't upgrade the map with I put in the K&N, but when I get my pipes done I'll definetly do it. I'll either pay to have a licensed Dyno Jet guru do it or I'll download a premade map.

Some people say you NEED the O2 eliminators, but I didn't think I did. I bought them anyways though. I think I paid $30 for a set of 2 from Dyno jet. Mort people make them from $3 parts from Radio shack but I didn't know that at the time.

Good luck!

5. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

Good info Canib, thanks. That settled it, I just ordered one off Ebay, won't be here till Monday though - that sucks!!

6. Sepp

Sepp New Member

I second Canib - PCIII USB is a must-have if you want to do other mods, or just want to clean up the stock VFR's power delivery.
    Before the install, it was difficult to modulate the throttle without jerkiness; roadbump-induced right hand twitches had the motor overresponding, on-off, almost like a light switch. Not smooth at all. At VTEC crossover the motor seemed to take a deep breath before revving higher.
    With the PCIII all that is gone. Power delivery is much smoother and the 5000 rpm flat spot is much less pronounced. Plus, downloading new maps to the unit is a breeze. You can experiment with map pretty easily to find the one you like best.
    However, be prepared for poorer gas mileage.

7. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

If it gets rid of the slow speed/low RPM throttle jerkiness I'll be happy. I go through a few 10-15mph hairpin turns on my commute to work where that gets annoying.

8. Sepp

Sepp New Member

You'll be happy. Low-end torque is meatier too, depending on the map you use.
    I use Cozye's latest, which you can find here:
    http://www.cozye.com/M111-003-new5.djm
    It's great, and kudos to him.

9. rivcyko

rivcyko New Member

Agreed. Pulls all the way through the RPM range.Worked for me.

Using resistors as opposed to spending the $$$ on the eliminators. 1 down on the front sprocket, stock exhaust, (drilled). Love it.

Have yet to do it, but for a any major H.P. increase, (IMHO), gut the cat. That's what's keeping the backpressure. A aftermarket exhaust is more about sound, than performance. A VFRD member, (Don't recall who), has a gutted cat, microns, and dyno-ed at 108. Major re-mapping involved.

10. Sepp

Sepp New Member

I've got me a set of '99 VFR headers for my '04...and live 10 miles from a PCIII tuner with dyno. We'll see what happens::evil:

11. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

Well, it arrived last week but I couldn’t install it till this last weekend. I got it for $295 (found on ebay, free shipping) from Richland Motorcycle in Fort Worth Texas (817) 284-0807, friendly people who sent it out right away. I went with the map it came with for a completely stock 2006. Here are some of my ramblings concerning it:

Installation was simple, just as advertised. Pop the seat off, unscrew the 2 bolts on the rear of the tank, locate the connectors next to the right side next to the airbox, connect the PCIII to it and stuff the connectors back into the plastic shroud and secure the tank back down. I used zip ties to keep the wires hidden, routed it opposite the tool kit under the seat, connected the ground to the battery.

I went with the Radio Shack homemade type o2 sensors, total cost of $1.06 versus $30 plus shipping from PC. See this link for the specifics on how to do it: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20350
    Again, very simple and you only have to remove the left fairing.

Now the moment of truth, start her up and see if the FI light comes on. Let it idle about 10 minutes, everything appears ok and I button her back up. Time to ride!!

First thing I notice is that it’s not nearly as twitchy at low speeds, the on/off type lurch is about 95% reduced. Also, the low rpm surging is now completely gone. Now to see what the VTEC transition feels like, I soar past 6400 RPMs and the only way I even know the VTEC has engaged is by the sound of the motor, the transition is perfectly seamless now. I only had time for a short ride, but I can already say it is $300 bucks well spent.

Thank you to those who recommended it!

12. KENJI

KENJI New Member

Thats great news, I've got an '05 VFR w/ vtec, scorpion exhaust, de-snorkled, de-paired, & de-flappered and I've just ordered the Pwr Commander III USB & 02 elimiantors for those same reasons, my appt w/ the tuners is Friday. It's good news that it really works! Kenji

13. TooManyToys

TooManyToys New Member

Hey Kenji, I see you have a Deuce as well- I'm struggling with the decision to sell it and get an Interceptor- which do you like better?:confused:

14. KENJI

KENJI New Member

Too Many Toys, I also see that you have a mixture of bikes. I really can't compare the two, I use this analogy with my friends who say "YOU CAN'T RIDE THEM AT THE SAME TIME" I tell them to look in their closet and tell me how many types of shoes are in there. You need running shoes for running, golf shoes for golfing.................. I've also noticed that the Harley group doesn't acknowledge sportbikers, maybe a few. I've ridden many a sportbike before I started riding Harleys and I wave to all bikers. Kenji P.S. That other Honda in your garage might be a better comparison for the VFR.

15. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I hadnt heard that 5th gen (98 -01)headers would fit 6th gen. :eek: Anybody do that before? They are still stock parts- I dont see what the benifit would be.

MD

16. Sepp

Sepp New Member

They fit, are 1/8" larger diameter, and have no cat. They'll give much better flow above Vtec crossover and should provide more responsiveness in the mid-range. Looking at ~10% more horsepower at peak once I get the PCIII tuned on the dyno.

17. love2ride

love2ride New Member

Hey Kenji,

Keep us posted on the dyno appt. I am very interested how things turnout.
    After I get a PC and put on a pipe, I am going to search out a dyno shop as well. Thanks..

18. grinder

grinder New Member

Funny group Harley riders. Recently a friend of mine riding a Wing stopped to help a broken down Harley in the middle of nowhere (we have a lot of that in Canada). The guy wouldn't even acknowledge my friends existance. Go figure. Me I would take help from anyone in those circumstances.

19. KENJI

KENJI New Member

Hey grinder, Your absolutley right, in fact I have two sets of friends that I ride with. I just did a ride through the wine country of Temucla, California on my Harley and there were plenty of sportbikes that would wave or return the wave..pretty cool!!!!! Kenji

20. Sepp

Sepp New Member

Hey, I just loaded the new PCIII USB "Accelerator Pump" feature and set it at the recommended street settings: 90% throttle, 15% fuel, 20 revs. Wow - the thing wants to wheely in the first three gears and the VTEC transition feels even stronger. Throttle response is even crisper, but still without the jerkiness of the stock setup.
    Read about it here:
    http://www.powercommander.com/maps/install/AcceleratorPump.pdf