Price Check Please, 1997 VFR. 4300 miles

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by bmarshall1, Jun 8, 2013.

1. bmarshall1

bmarshall1 New Member

Hey All,

I need a little help from the crowd; it is time to sell my 1997 VFR and I need an idea on the price. Here are some details and feel free to ask any questions.

I'm sure some are wondering 'how do you have a 16 yr old bike w/ only 4300 miles', here are the cliff notes. I sold my Ducati 851 Superbike (uncomfortable) and bought the VFR then all my friends quite riding, I bought a Miata, switched jobs, moved, got married, bought a dirt bike, wrecked the dirt bike, broke both arms and legs (ouch) and here I am. This is the last of my bikes to go as it is my favorite.

The bike is about as perfect as one would expect to find w/ this low of miles, always garaged, covered, and pampered.

It's a 1997, 4350 miles, perfect shape, one adult owner, purchased new by me and always garaged. Within the last 300 miles it has: a new battery, new Michelin Pilot Sports (still have the nubs), carburetors cleaned and synchronized, valve clearances checked (w/ pix), new spark plugs, air filter, and voltage regulator. All the work has been done by myself as I am very anal about my bikes and cars. It currently has a Micron pipe (very nice, deep, sound) but I have the stock pipe as well. I have the original owners manual, shop manual, and tool kit, plus the factory rear seat cowl and balancing adapter for the rear wheel. I may be selling the pipe, shop manual, cowl and other accessories separately, but not sure as of yet. It has a throttle lock for comfort, and tank pad to stop scratches. I probably have a few other item to sell/go with the bike but need to gather a list.

What do you think it's value is? I have seen a few '96/'97's in the $2000-$4000 range but with 12K to 50K+ miles.

This bike is a great example and a true survivor for someone who wants a 4th Gen VFR; tell me what you think. Once I have a better idea it'll be in the classifieds or craigslist.

thanks in advance,

Bruce

Attached Files:

2. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Good luck with the sale. She looks real clean.

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    It is not hurt to ask for 3k
    For a clean bike I am sure it will sale. GLWS

4. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Whoa, where you at?.. Hmm, Now what can I get rid of here that I don't use much.

5. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    You should be able to get at least $3500 for it. Most people who buy motorcycles look for the newest bikes they can afford but people who buy older VFR's are usually looking for that specific bike and specific year/model. Since yours is in great shape with low mileage it shouldn't be hard to get $3500 from someone who appreciates the VFR for what it is and not just looking for a older cheap ride. You just need to find that person. Be patient and the right buyer will come along. I would stick with the classified sections of this site and the other VFR forum (VFRD.com) Also advertise on Craigslist but try to avoid Ebay because you'll lose money on the fees and may end up with much less than you deserve if you have an auction without a reserve.

Rollin

6. david224

david224 New Member

Put the battery tender on it and start it once in awhile you will regret selling it.

7. bmarshall1

bmarshall1 New Member

Thanks for the comments everyone, I took it for a short ride last night and remember why I like it so much in the first place. Already having second thoughts but I'm trying hard to justify keeping a bike I rarely ride.