Pro Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by reg71, Jan 3, 2007.

1. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Ok, if you guys have looked at any of the 'how do you clean your bike?' threads, then you have read about this stuff. You probably have also seen the messages talking about states where it can't be sold. So here's what I just read... I have a can of it that I bought at my local dealer, and on the can it says, "This product is not intended for sale or use in the following Volatile Organic Compound Restrictive states: CA, DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, DC, and in the states of CT, MA, ME, NH, RI, VA and VT at the time of their effective date of regulation."

Now here's what intersted me about this, The next few lines of text below that are ' Distributed by: American Honda Motor Co., Inc. Torrance, CA 90501-2746, Made in USA.'

Isn't it interesting, that it's made and distributed in CA, I bought it in CA, but CA is the first state listed in the ban? Oh well, just glad I got a can! I better go check and see if they have more in stock!

2. DANIMAL

DANIMAL New Member

you california wacko's are sooo crazy, but we love ya still

3. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

I work with the CA State EPA guys every once in a while...nice people, but they sure subscribe to a bizarro world of logic in many of their policies. I'll have to ask them about this one next time we chat, that’s pretty funny.

4. Spike

Spike New Member

Just 'cause it is distributed by Amer Honda and they are based in CA, doesn't mean it is made there, or ever steps foot in CA. Could be made and shipped to dealers from a company anywhere in the world really -- but probly within the US/Canada/Mexico.

Or the restriction could just be against consumer use.

But a couple of years ago, Motoryclcle Consumer News did a comparo of about 20 spray polishes, even Pledge. The Honda stuff did very well to my memory but the overall winner was another product, and while I can see the bottle sitting on my shelf in my head, I can't for the life of me remember the name of it. I want to say like Brillianize or something?? anyone? white bottle with like an orange starburst on the front? not an aerosol but a pump

Anyway, for those that have never seen it (it isn't sold on any newstands). A very hearty recomendation for Motorcycle Consumer News, www.mcnews.com . You can also find them at a booth at the "international cycle world motorycycle shows" www.motorcycleshows.com . Where you can pick up a free copy, and subsribe. No I don't work for them or have anythign to do with them except a long time subsriber, and often gift subsriptions as gifts to motorcycle friends at X-Mas. They are a black and white mag, which causes many to overlook them. But they are one of the best to get if you really ride. They accept no advertising -- none. So it never impacts what they say or what they review. But they are constantly, although it doesn't seem as often lately, doing reviews of motorcycle equipment. Besides bike reviews and comparos, regular stuff. So for something like polish, they go and buy (not request potentially adulterated samples from the manu) multiple bottles of about 20 or so products and set up some sort of testing regimine to test for multiple features. Now besides saying which was the best overall, they list the scores in each area. And sometimes will say that brand A was really the best, but brand B was very close and is half the price. By listing the scores in each area, it also allows you to make a personal choice based on what is important to you. So again, using polish as an example, they might have an overall winner; but to you the overall shine is much more important than anything else, well that might not be the overall winner. Or you don't care about shine, but want protection, or ease of application, whatever. Now you can make your own choice. But they do this with all kinds of stuff, winter gloves, chain lube, oil, goggles, electric vests, tie downs, intercoms, GPS units, communicators, etc. But you have the same people using all the products back to back to back. So it isn't just one person saying I use brand A and it is great. It may well be, but maybe brand y is slightly better.
    Really is very good stuff, and obviously I regard them very highly.

5. Spike

Spike New Member

Hey, there are a couple of other states in there as well! :smile:
    we don't even know that CA was the first!!

and we may be more environmentally friendly than most states, and have some cumbersome laws designed to protect the little guy -- but at least our housing is really ridicuously over priced (in a lot of the areas anyway, not the whole state

6. VaRollOn

VaRollOn New Member

United States
    Map
    We were a Yamaha shop and all we used was Honda Pro-Polish. It is absolutely the best. I am currently using this stuff called the BOM, but that's because the inventor/distributor is a family friend and gave me a whole case free. The BOM works as well, very slippery stuff indeed.