Probably asked and answered 100+ times, but here goes again...Battery consistently losing charge

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Dudealicious, May 4, 2011.

1. Dudealicious

Dudealicious New Member

Original battery lasted almost 5 years. Put in a Yuasa replacement from Honda and ever since it's losing its charge after a few weeks. Bike is a daily rider and runs for approximately 20-30 minutes each way. Took a look at the stator wires going into the R/R and there's just a little browning going on there. Nothing too toasty from a bike with 25k on it. Put a meter on the battery at idle and it spit back 12-13v. Showed me 14v when revved up.
    As of now, it's not killing me to toss her on a charger for a few hours every couple of weeks when she starts to sound weak, but it's just annoying knowing something's going on there.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Hmm the 6th gen never really had r/r issues did they? Of course that's the first thing that comes to mind for me cause every 5th gen I know has had r/r issues.

Side note: you coming to R3? I still haven't been able to beat your joust scores.

3. AZTraveler

AZTraveler New Member

Many new batteries are put into service improperly. The battery should be slow charged on a charger overnight, before being installed. This will set it with a full charge memory and future charges will reach that initial memory. If only charged to less than 100%, that will become the full charge of the future.

4. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map