problem with speedo

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by herbvfr705f, May 25, 2008.

1. herbvfr705f

herbvfr705f New Member

So i was riding my vfr the other day when i looked down and saw that my speedo was not working. i know these are electric controls but could the speedo be bad or the sensor. and if it is the sensor does anyone have one they would be willing to sell for a resonable price or even a speedo they could part with. i do not have the money to buy a new one seeing how the speedo is almost 500 dollars and the sensor is almost 200. Any help would be appreciated. Also how hard is it to synce the carbs? I am still having a problem with the idle surging and i have changes the spark plugs and also ran some cleaners thru the carbs.

2. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I would check the plastic end that goes over the front gear (off the chain).... if that is ok then it probably is the circuit board in the cluster or maybe bad connection..I may have a speedo/board/gear in my spares if that is what you need. To sync the carbs is pretty easy if you have the tool or make one. I will probably just buy a tool one day to check mine out. Maybe someone here has one they can loan you nearby. Brian

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Where's that thread a member did showing the step to step he took on the carbs? Man don't know what to say about the speed-O not working, I haven't (knock on wood) ever have one go bad.

4. herbvfr705f

herbvfr705f New Member

so i checked the gear near the chain and it stripped the hole. While i had the sensor out i checked it to see if it changed the speedo at all and the sensor is good. So i just ordered a new nut. Thanks for all the help.