Problems 3 Cylinders Running, info?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by houghjohann, Mar 20, 2011.

1. houghjohann

houghjohann New Member

Hi,

Can anybody help me with some experience?

I have a 5th gen 99' with 60k mil on the clock. The bike was underpowered and there was a funny noise at the engine. After further investigation it was found that the one cylinder was not firing, I checked the plugs and the cord and checked that it is still getting the pulse and there is a spark when tested. So I suspect that the injector is blocked, I used injector cleaner and let it be sucked in from the vacuum hose to the cylinders to clean it. While doing that I found that all 4 exhaust pipes coming out the head gets hot of the injector cleaner igniting in the cylinder. After that was done I took the bike out and checked again but then I could feel that the same cylinder's exhaust was cold meaning no ignition in that cylinder.

So what i'm doing at the moment is to take of the fuel rack to get to the injectors and check the resistance over the specific injector and if that is correct I'll check and clean the injector.

Is this the correct action for the problem or is there another thing I should check? I'm not sure when last the valve clearances has been checked is there a indicator that I can check and determine if the clearance should be checked and adjusted?

If someone can help me it would be appreciated?

Thanks

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Your guess about a clogged injector may be correct, but best in a case like yours is to FIRST switch the sparkplug from a running cylinder into the non-running one. Or try a new plug.

Plugs can spark OK at atmospheric pressure but sometimes misfire under cylinder pressure, and it's always easier and quicker to check plugs than fuel system.

Nothing to do with valve clearance is my guess, so don't fret.

What kind of squirrels have you there in SA ??? Photos, please !!

3. houghjohann

houghjohann New Member

Thanks squirrelman,

I did check that and in that area everything is fine. So I will then continue with the injectors, but any information is good information. Do you know or does someone know where I can get the Honda Maintenance Manual for the 5th Gen bike? I found one in one of the discussion threads but it is no longer available it gives me the error.
    Thanks

Don't really know what type of squirrels we have on this side the only photo's that I will have are the ones you will get on the internet.

4. houghjohann

houghjohann New Member

Just to close off this problem,

I removed the fuel rack and all the injectors cleaned everything nicely and also checked the resistance over the injectors everything was in order. Replaced it all as is was in the beginning, and started her up, all 4 cylinders firing with no problem, could be because it was standing for a time that the fuel got sticky and made the injector stick. So everything is in nice working condition again.

Cheers

5. Davis5g

Davis5g New Member

Map
    Good news. Make sure you put fuel stabilizer in the gas if the bike is going to sit for a while to prevent it from happening again.