Process for buying a new vehicle?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Echo3Niner, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    I was asked recently how I got the deals I have on my vehicles, and it surprised me that my process seemed so "rocket science" to those I was talking to, so I thought I'd post it here, in case it helps anyone else, and to pick up anymore tips others may have:

I have a well oiled plan that works for me: I always start by doing the Internet research, I know what the list is and the invoice for the actual spec vehicle I'm going in to buy. I tell 'em up front, I'm here to buy this specific vehicle; though I usually know what the top competing product is too, and mention I'm trying to decide between the two....

I use simple math, on anything that's still selling for near sticker, I start my negotiations at 20% off, with the goal actually being 10% off list; by the time I add all the crap on after, if I get out the door (OTD) for about what it's listed at, I figure I did well enough. And they usually are still making enough to stay in business.

If the vehicle's been sitting (like my last VFR), then I ramp it up to 30% with the goal more like 20%, or whatever seems right to me; but I have it all planned out before I go in. My last Dodge truck I bought just before Chrysler went under in early '09, had set on the lot for over 6 months. It was listed at $48k, I got it OTD for $36k...

I wait until after I'm done negotiating before I talk about how I'm buying the vehicle. Because they usually make money back on their financing, if I've brought my own, or am paying cash, they're gonna be less likely to deal.

But, I'm a glutton for punishment, buying a vehicle for me is like an all day ordeal at the dealer (and sometimes more); I'm always willing to walk and go to another dealer, and usually have to get up to do so several times before I get what I want.

I also don't get mad at the sales person, they have no power, it's the "sales manager" (or whatever title they use), who approves all deals, the salesperson is just the go-between...

I just take my phone/tablet and play games, watch some Internet TV, read stuff on the Internet, etc. while I wait... I'll even bring snacks and soda along. Once they figure out I'm not late for a dinner date, it usually moves along.

But, that's just me; as always, your mileage may very.

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Wired in the first 30 seconds..LOL