Profi Laser C.A.T. & VF500F Wheel Conversion Double Check

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by invisible cities, Feb 14, 2011.

1. invisible cities

invisible cities New Member

United States
    Map
    I recently purchased a Profi Laser C.A.T. in part as I am a fan of new tools and also as I wanted an accurate way to double check the work on the CBR600F wheel conversion for my '84 VF500F (link here: http://vfrworld.com/forums/1st-2nd-generation-1983-1989/30852-vf500f-cbr600f-wheel-conversion.html).

For those not familiar with this tool the Laser C.A.T. (Chain Alignment Tool) creates a parallel reference line from the rear sprocket by broadcasting a laser across the surface of the chain.

As I am currently running the stock 530 rear sprocket (only 5,800 miles on this) I first had to remove the sprocket's outer band as this interferes with the sight line of the laser:

[​IMG]

To remove the band I used a grinder to grind down the rivet heads and then a small punch to to pop out the remaining part of the rivet:

[​IMG]

Knowing that I was going to have the rear wheel off I purchased a set of low mileage CBR600F cush rubbers (from a dealer on eBay) so I could replace these as well (the old ones had seen better days, these are to the left of the wheel in the photo below)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After remounting the wheel

[​IMG]

it was time to try out the Laser C.A.T.

[​IMG]

After dialing in the chain adjusters, the laser quickly verifies the alignment from the rear sprocket

[​IMG]

to the front sprocket (sprocket cover removed for clarity)

[​IMG]

While I would say that this is not 100% necessary for regular chain adjustments (though it would make this much easier) I would definitely recommend this tool for anyone completing a rear wheel conversion as this is quick and accurate way to verify your work.

High praise to Profi for this inventive, well made and simple to use tool.

2. Michael E

Michael E New Member

Map
    Great OP as usual, IC. Great pics. That wheel conversions sure does modernize the look of the 500.

That's a neat tool. I wonder if you could do a similar thing with any small laser, i.e. pointer or level tool. Typical Michael E, eh? Always looking for the homemade, budget solution. Your CAT would be much cooler though.

3. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    Lining up the front and rear sprockets is important, but what I've found to be more critical is the alignment of the front and rear wheels to the centerline of the motorcycle. This is quite a bit more difficult to measure but is absolutely critical to making sure a different wheel is properly fitted. The rear sprocket alignment with the countershaft sprocket is the last step in the process. At that point I do something similar to what you've done, only with a long steel rule. I like that because it gives me something solid to take measurements from in the situations where the sprocket carrier much be machined.

Thanks for the pics!

4. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    Yep, wheel alignment first then sprocket. A rotary laser can be used to find the bikes center line as well. I mounted mine over head so the beam lined up with the center of the steering neck, the tanks front mounting point, rear mounting point and a hole in the rear subframe. With the frame bare, the beam will light the tire where alignment should be but always check it after with the front wheel. Then check the chain alignment. You may have to shim out the front or get the rear to move inward. On my F2 rear conversion, I used a VF500 sprocket carrier instead of machining the F2's. Chain lined up beautifully.

5. invisible cities

invisible cities New Member

United States
    Map

I have a feeling this fella may be deceiving in its simplicity. This is not to say that with a bit of Yankee, make that, Canadian ingenuity one couldn't come up with a homemade solution ;-)