PSA Riding after dusk

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by REVTMOLO, Nov 20, 2018.

1. REVTMOLO

REVTMOLO New Member

United States
    Map
    I really try not to be preachy about this type of thing but I wanted to share an experience I had while out for a ride yesterday evening.

Typically, I don’t like riding after the sun has set. You’ve got animals out foraging for food at that time and people seem far less likely to see you. It was pretty warm out last night (About 60 degrees) and I couldn’t resist the opportunity to take a quick spin on the VFR.

I only rode for about 11 miles and as I was nearing home I came to an intersection in my neighborhood with a 4 way stop. As I pull up I see a car go through the intersection and then a big Nissan pickup pull up and stop.

Something to me is odd about the truck (Seemed like they were in a rush) and I’ve already decided at this point I’m going to let them go first as I know I’m not going to win that battle if I try to beat them to the punch. Suddenly, the truck turns left (no directional) and heads straight at me.

I began honking my horn and screaming at the top of my lungs at which point the driver hit the brakes and stopped about 2-3 feet off my front wheel. When she stopped, I was looking directly between her left headlight and license plate frame. She backed up , then pulled forward and rolled down her window at which point I blew through more vulgarities than I thought was possible for even for me to spew.

She kept saying “I didn’t see you! I Said I’m SORRY!” to which I replied “I’ve got one bright orange sleeve, a Day-Glo yellow motorcycle not to mention a ridiculously bright headlight and you didn’t see me?? My neck is on the line out here lady and you could have KILLED ME!!” I’m not sure if she was drunk, texting…. Whatever. The last words I uttered in her direction (sans vulgarity) was to get out of there before I climbed off and turned it back into an incident we’d both regret.

All that said; With the sun setting earlier please be extra vigilant if you decide to go out riding in the evenings after work. I’m convinced the only reason I wasn’t hit is because I was watching that truck before it turned and even then, didn’t expect this to happen at all. This was a really scary incident and other than dropping the bike and bailing out there wasn’t a thing I could do to get out of it besides make a lot of noise. Fortunately, it didn’t come to that.

I'm going to post this across a few different forums. Hopefully it will act as a friendly reminder to be extra careful out there. I won’t tell you not to ride after dark, but I’m pretty sure I won’t be doing it again.

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I hate riding at dusk and dark also. I have to do it today to get home for the holidays because there is rain tomorrow.
    Since I live in Cali, it's safer for motorcyclists to avoid the freeways on rainy days. Most Californians (or a lot of them) don't seem
    to be the best drivers in the wet.

Wish me luck.

3. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Oh man, I used to love to ride at night when I was young. When there was a full moon, I'd turn out the lights and
    ride by the light of the moon. The moonlight turned the highway into a silver ribbon. It was heaven. That was long
    enough ago, there were switches to turn the lights on and off.

Now I'm old, I see like shite after dark, and worry about the innumerable deer along the roadside. Honestly some
    things really were more fun 50 years ago.

REVTMOLO likes this.
  4. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Someone asked me how the headlights on my bike were. I said I guess they're OK, but I almost never ride at night.

5. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    Yeah, I don't ride at night much either. Between cars not seeing me and bugs splattering all over my visor and bike, it just isn't worth it.

6. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Seeing as sunrise is 7:32am and sunset is 4:05pm riding when it's dark isn't a choice at the moment. .lol
    However the lights on the 6th gen are excellent

REVTMOLO likes this.
  7. REVTMOLO

REVTMOLO New Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah man. I've been really impressed with them. The headlight on my Victory Vegas is pretty outstanding, but the VFR headlights blow it away!

8. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    You must be well South then sunrise up here today is 08:16 sunset 16:02. Was weird watching a live news broadcast in London the other day in broad daylight yet still dark here.

From end of September on spend a fair time commuting in the dark. Love the vfr and BMW headlights. Not too keen on the vfr in the twisty bits due to the led headlight cut off.

9. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Day or night, doesn't matter. We live in a distracted and disconnected world. Every time I see a thread on HUD helmets or what type of music do you listen to while riding, I can only shake my head. It's no surprise that a lot of top level racers contend that it's too dangerous to ride on public streets, counter-intuitive, until you really stop and think about it.

10. REVTMOLO

REVTMOLO New Member

United States
    Map
    I think some of that depends on where you live. If I didn't live in a fairly quiet town I wouldn't have a bike. I often consider moving back to Dallas TX but nix it because I know I would have to sell off my rides.

I saw way too many accidents in Dallas. Wanted a bike while I was there for 10 years and never owned during that time because of it.

11. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    West London...

fink likes this.
  12. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    In general the accidents that happen in a major town are different than in the boonies - Sticks / Cuds for those that speak english...
    You are 'less likely to die... it will hurt but you (with luck & GEAR) should walk away.

Out of town you will be waiting for a ambulance or hearse..

13. REVTMOLO

REVTMOLO New Member

United States
    Map
    Well I wouldn't say I'm out of town, it's just not a terribly over populated area like Dallas, LA or NYC. I'd never be more than a few minutes away from medical care unless I took to the mountains and even then wouldn't be far out of reach.

14. blitz jr

blitz jr New Member

United States
    Map
    I don't ride much at night. I'm too lazy to change my face shield from tinted to clear, and I don't ride if I have a couple, which is usually after dark.

Funny though, I live near Chicago and usually have to ride in very heavy traffic. When I think back to the times I could have been killed on my bike, it seems they happened when I was away from the city or riding when there wasn't much traffic. That's when the deer, drunks and the distracted drivers seem to be out.

15. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    Lived in Spokane Washington for 19 years and every single year we would have at least one motorcycle death due to deer collision, always occuring in either the dawn or dusk hour.

16. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

That is why I carry a Spot locator and Medivac helicopter membership, I don't ride in groups and typically ride solo.

https://www.findmespot.com/en/

https://www.airmedcarenetwork.com/c...tv=2&msclkid=a2ee6dfe5e2d1d0816b0360badfa2804

17. PawnBoy

PawnBoy New Member

Canada
    Map
    It's not like I prefer riding at night or anything, but my 6th gen is the first bike where I'm pretty comfortable at night. The lights on it are so good, better than a lot of cars I've driven. Only downside is that I've had people flash their brights at me when I've only got low beams on. I think people assume two lights on a bike means high beams.

34468 Randy likes this.
  18. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

A quick flash of the hb's will usually set them straight, LOL

19. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    That’s a good thing, it means they see you. Get it all the time now that I have HID yellows.
    Commuting/riding in the dark definitely keeps you on your toes as I do every day.
    I’m sure this woman was on her phone just like 85% of drivers now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Alexa? Please dim those oncoming headlights..........:emporer: