Quick question about the Clutch...

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by GreginDenver, Jan 24, 2017.

1. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    I've disassembled the clutch in the 5th gen that I'm refurbishing. The bike has its original clutch friction and pressure plates in it. I've noticed that there are some differences in these original parts and the replacement parts that I've ordered in to replace them.

Here's a picture of the pressure plates, with the new part on the left and the original part on the right. What's up with the little indents on the original pressure plates? What purpose do they serve? Which is better, a pressure plate with the little indents or without?

[​IMG]

Any thoughts?

2. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    The smooth is what you get now. Did both of my bikes and the stippled stuff that came out as oem is not available. I would imagine it cost more money to manufacture and would think that they held a little bit of oil too, but who knows. Get new springs if you havent. I end up replacing the slave cylinder as well and pop for a braided steel line. Thats just me though.

3. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, I've got a set of Barnett springs to install, slave cylinder rebuild items and a nice set of Spiegler braided steel lines (both for the clutch and brakes).