R/R Wire Fix - WIRE HARNESS

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by pontiac_banshee, Sep 8, 2007.

1. pontiac_banshee

pontiac_banshee New Member

United States
    BEFORE I START PLEASE MAKE ANY ADVICE YOU THINK WOULD HELP. MY INTENTIONS ARE TO TAKE PHOTOS AND GET PART NUMBERS AND COSTS FOR ALL THE ITEMS AND POST IT HERE.

After reading all the posts about R/R issues I did some hunting and found a solution that should be easy for anyone. Scotts Electric has connectors for the R/R and the stator. I intend on buying a Male and Female of each and building an external harness. Scotts warns me that the terminals are only made for 14 gauge wire so I will make some terminal adapters that will be crimped and soldered to the terminals and will have 12 gauge wire from the rectifier to the + and - of the battery and 12 gauge wire to the stator. All of this will tie to the main harness connectors and never have to cut or splice a thing. This scenario is built on a redundant system and if I find that a redundant system is not necessary it will require just one connector for the rectifier and one for the stator.

ANOTHER POSITIVE TO THIS SETUP!!!!! I can move the rectifier to anywhere on the bike to get it in a cooler location.

QUESTIONS

1.) Bypass or leave stock wires in place!!! I have heard both ways and I wanted to rectify :caked: one issue first. Should this be a redundant system where the original wiring should be kept in place and still live?

2.) One size fuse should be used for the R/R to battery holder?