random running issue

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by VMad, Apr 22, 2019.

1. VMad

VMad New Member

United Kingdom
    out today on my 01 and as I went to overtake some cars and give it a handful the bike sputtered and sort of misfired then suddenly cleared. As it was doing this, the FI light was on. It continued doing this at random times throughout the rest of the day. Starts fine and checked battery on multimeter....getting about 13.8v on idle so stator is fine. Thanks for any help guys

2. comradeQuestion

comradeQuestion New Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds electrical. My money is on a corroded electrical connector somewhere on the bike. Could also be a bad ground connection.

3. vanvfr

vanvfr New Member

Canada
    Map
    I just went through FI issues. First get the service manual. It will go into detail on how to read the FI codes. Heres a short version:

1. create a jumper out of a paper clip and wrap the middle bit with some electrical tape for a handle
    2. take off the seat, push in the rear pins and lift the cover to get to the ecu
    3. trace the harness and you will find a black 3 pin connector with only 2 wires in it
    4. insert the jumper, put the bike on the center stand and set the kill switch to on
    5. turn on the bike and you should get a FI blink code.
    6. read the code in the service manual and you can go from there