RC36 30 minutes hard then "ran outta gas"

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by gullymonster, Aug 23, 2013.

1. gullymonster

gullymonster New Member

93 VFR750f running hard on freeway for 30 min. then on 2lane road around 45mph it bogs down like it ran out of gas.

won't start warm which is weird, so I put choke on and it started up several times. Each time it would bog and stall out if I either removed choke or tried to open throttle. -I let it sit where it was for the night-
    -came back this am- and it wouldn't start (even with choke) -never happens

I pulled fuel filter and blew it out, tested fuel pump on battery and felt rapid pulse succession, got the bike up to dealers; 10 mins by highway w/ no problem, and switched fuel filters on the spot. Return trip with no other disruptions.

- NOW -
    From what I've read so far, the fuel pumps can overheat and temporarily fail before their totally facked.
    riding home from dealership I held my fuel pump to see what it was operating like. and this leads to my question.
    My pump pulses sporadically in isolated and spaced out pumps and longer sequences of quick pulse pumps.

I'm wondering if there's a standard frequency and duration prescribed for these pumps, or if they do pump necessary pumps for fuel at any given interval.
    AND
    On a 93 if replacing the points component on the pump would affect performance vs. looking towards relay.

(my meter is a few towns away) so I can't test resistance and voltage across pump or relay yet, and nervous to do 45min on highway before work tonight :)

Honda VFR 750 FM RC36 91 Fuel Pump Repair Kit - Point Switch Parts at Wemoto - The UK's No.1 On-Line Motorcycle Parts Retailer suggested points swap link

Attached Files:

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Why not try bypassing the relay ?? Very rapid clicking suggests fuel is not getting TO the pump.

3. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    aka clogged peturcock or broken vacuum line to petcock...

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Kenny, Kenny, Bobby, only those ancient VFs had vaccum-operated petcocks. And you're one of our most helpful and wise commentators, so what's up ??!!

Maybe that bike quit running cuz it's SO DAMN UGLY !

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  5. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    i don't know squirrelman i don't know why i said that-- i must be gettin' jigglebillie in my old age.

But i got these night vision goggles--well, commence ta jigglin' yall.

6. gullymonster

gullymonster New Member

why does everyone say that?! It's not a sticks and stones bike, but I guess its damn close. This bike was tooled up when it came to me, but a friend swears by these machines (rightly so) and I felt I needed to learn a little more about it.

literature around is suggesting to attack the fuel pump relay, so I am, any recommendations for how to wire the bypass? I tried bypass with a jumper wire to get home and no luck on the pump operating at all.

-side question- what is the other relay coming from the harness close to the fuel pump relay.

7. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Blinker relay, me thinks...don't forget to top off the blinker fluid. Its a pretty mean looking bike yah know...I dont know if I look manly enough to ride it :wacko:

High Ice-Hunchin:wave: Gona be cold in Barf-ah-Low this winter :smow:

8. gullymonster

gullymonster New Member

Just an update, I am getting voltage across the relay unit, 11.4V -manual recommended checking from harness side of relay.

I could not get continuity between relay and ignition control unit, another manual recommended test.

Could not get pump action when placed jumper wire across relay connector.
    I would like to bypass relay so pump operates on keyturn, but I'm having trouble figuring how to bypass that, and would it be better to put on a switch like I have my fan?

9. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Maybe it was outa gas.. a common problem on the 1200s ;)

10. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    If its fuse is good and the relay gets power, the pump should click when the blue and blue/black relay wires are jumped at the plug when the key is on. You checked for about 4 ohms resistance across the 2 leads for the pump ??

If not, keep investigating.

11. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Is this the same bike I saw on CL for $7500.00? Those new Corbin Gunfighters without the lady are very cool IMO.

Looks like that South of the border candyapple paint on the tank, may be an indicator or some repair or bodywork. That starvation may be just crap in the lines. or one flake of something in a carb jet.

12. gullymonster

gullymonster New Member

Further update, this issue has occured now 3 times. 1- thurs night I left it overnight, wouldn't start next morning til I blew out fuel filter. then swapped later that.

Second time, Sat. morning, I waited about 15 minutes, after trying with choke and continuously bogging, and it did start right back up, I went home and checked for voltage across the relay with key on, was good 11.2v. checked fuse nothing blown, monitored fuel pump and operated fine, but pulse seemed sporadic to me.

Third, Mon. night, after maybe 5 min. it took to get to highway, died on entrance ramp and even though I waited 5-10min in between, battery drained to point where it wouldn't turn over to start.

Could I bypass relay so pump operates on keyturn continuously? or would that flood the engine?

13. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    There are others alot smarter on this here web-site than me fer sure. Just a question here; did the bike ever run ok? Its either carburation or electrical, plain and not-so-simple. Why dont you drain each bowl and see how much fuel is in each one? Was the bike crashed hard? Seems like you could have a pinched or broken wire, bad ground, burned connection ect ect, you get the idea.
    Not much a help here I know...Good Luck

14. gullymonster

gullymonster New Member

DO have continuity from R/Y in starter relay to ignition control, and from black/blue in relay to fuel pump.
    From Black connector in relay I have 9.2v and the battery is reading 11.2v

does that indicate bad starter relay or is low voltage from another hinderance?