Rear caliper swap to a Brembo.

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by eyhonda, May 9, 2019.

1. eyhonda

eyhonda New Member

United States
    Map
    I started to remove the rearsets to change them out for 929 type using Sebs adapters. I end up de-linking and swapping out the brake system!

The rear system presented a bigger challenge than front as I didn't want to re-use the monster caliper with 2 lines. Seems like too much compromise.

With a bit of thought, I figured adapting a floating piston Brembo with simple bracket should work. I just happen to have a 3D printer and have been using Fusion360 to make other things. It's a perfect opportunity!

So, I was able to design an adapter to mount a Brembo P32 caliper to the OEM (5g) hanger! I should have a part machined for testing very soon.

I test fitted the caliper using 3D fdm parts. First part was a guess fit as I didn't have the caliper yet. It fit the hanger but the caliper was way too low. I did have one on my Hawk but I wasn't about to remove it while waiting for one intended for the VFR. After getting the caliper, it took me 2 prints and several changes to correctly located the caliper.

With a bit of measuring, fitting and designing, it's possible to go this route without changing the whole hanger. Plus, I don't have to disassemble the hub to change out thehanger. To me, this was the faster route to change the rear caliper using an adapter bracket and it turned out to be a fun exercise. I can't wait to get it all mounted. In the front, it is standard VTR lowers, calipers and MC. Got the 3mm spacers off McMaster Carr. The rear line has to be custom kitted. Both masters are 14mm. Stay tuned!

Attached Files:

OZ VFR likes this.
  2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    That's cool. I'm working on something similar for a future Plan B on a 1000R project. What model is that caliper sourced from?

My 3D printer for prototype brackets is a sheet of 5mm nylon and spacers. ;-)

3. eyhonda

eyhonda New Member

United States
    Map
    I just eyeballed the body. No model. The critical dimensions for interference and mounting was all I needed.

Dudz likes this.
  4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    So no idea what bike it came from?

5. eyhonda

eyhonda New Member

United States
    Map
    I thought you were referring to the model data (stl file). The actual caliper is from many Ducati models like late model Monsters, HMs, S2R, S4R. P32 refers to a 32mm piston. Easy to find. 84mm c-c mounting.

6. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I thank you sir.

7. eyhonda

eyhonda New Member

United States
    Map
    You're very welcome. In addition, the Brembos are solid mount, dual piston type. The OEM parts are floating calipers with a sliding pin mount. So, essentially, that design makes it easier to make. The P32 calipers are more compact than late model Honda Nissin parts too.

I looked for a gold painted caliper with the name Brembo and the trademark on it. There are different looking parts out there but physically the same (silver and without "Brembo") with some combination of external markings and colors.

8. Kenneth Nødset

Kenneth Nødset New Member

Norway
    How's bleeding air from the bottom of the caliper?

9. eyhonda

eyhonda New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm not there yet but past experience will say it will be harder than if it was overslung. I'm not too worried. The bleed valve points down.

The line will be pretty long, about 42-45" as I plan to route it thru the swingarm like my Hawk.

10. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    And nothing says it has to be bled attached to the bracket. On some of my bikes I dismount and use a piece of aluminum for a "rotor" so I can get the caliper in a better position.

11. eyhonda

eyhonda New Member

United States
    Map
    True. It will be fairly easy to remove compared to OEM. I'm not sure yet but it probably can be removed even with the wheel on. The bolts face to the left.

12. Kenneth Nødset

Kenneth Nødset New Member

Norway
    There you go, a man with a plan!
    Awesome thinking outside the box on this one...
    The reason I was thinking of this was the mistake Aprilia did on the early RSV v-twins.

13. Dudz

Dudz New Member

New Zealand
    eyhonda
    Good work. I am building a fireblade with a VFR800FI (1999) swing arm. I have bought a Hel billet brake caliper which is also an 84mm spacing. Can I please borrow the dfx file or drawings ? as I have a CNC and would like to mill this myself so I can mount this caliper.

14. eyhonda

eyhonda New Member

United States
    Map

15. Dudz

Dudz New Member

New Zealand
    Just Paid Via Paypal