Rear Drive Chain

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by rodent, Jan 27, 2003.

1. rodent

rodent New Member

Map
    I have lost the chain wear indicator sticker from the chain guard on my 1996 VFR 750. I would like to know what the best indicator is to when the chain is at the end of its useful life.

2. spencerl

spencerl New Member

Rodent, There are usually some tell tale signs of a worn chain. The biggest is that it tends to kink. Just make sure it is properly adjusted and lubed when you test it by spinning it with center stand down.

How many miles on your bike/chain?

Also, check the teeth on your rear sprocket. If the teeth are pointy or shaped like circular saw teeth, and the chain has not been replaced, then it is time. Remeber to change the front/Rear sprockets at the same time as chain, otherwise they would cause the other to wear prematurely.

Spencer

3. limeyhondafella

limeyhondafella New Member

hiyas,,..with normal usage...and not too throttle happy a chain would need a tiny adjustment every 500 to 700 miles or so....more frequent than this....time to think of replacing...and remember....slightly loose is wayyyy better than slightly tight

4. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Howdy,

A trick I was taught is to grab the chain at one of the pin joints on the back of the rear sprocket. Pull the joint away from the sprocket. If it comes out more than 3-1/6 to 1/4", you chain is likely due for a change. This is both an indication of sprocket and chain wear. If you have a more modern o-ring chain, tap the sides of the chain. You should NOT hear the rollers rattling around. If they do, it is usually because the o-rings have deteriorated and the internal grease is gone. My last chain sounded like a freaking rattle snake :) I just changed it and the sprockets. I am horrible about maintaing my chains. But with the D.I.D. X-ring I still get about 20K miles out of them. Keeping the chain properly adjusted will also help extend the wear life of the chain. To tight and you will likely feel quite a bit of vibration on the left footpeg, to loose and you will hear is slapping around on the underside of the swingarm on acceleration and on top of the swing arm when you decelerate. Replacing them is fairly easy if you have a dremel and a chain riveting tool.

Adios,