Rear master cylinder disassembly

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by TheVallog, Mar 9, 2019.

1. TheVallog

TheVallog New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi folks,

First post from Limey newbie here - hello to all!

So, I dare say this has been covered before but my searches didn't uncover it: I'm having trouble getting the Nissin rear master cylinder apart on my fifth generation VFR800FI (2001) to replace seals, etc.

Specifically: how does one release the pivot rod assembly from its ball and socket joint on the end of the main piston? There appears to be some kind of circlip involved but i can't even see it, let alone release it. Can anyone advise?

Attached Files:

2. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

There are two circlips hiding under the rubber boots that need to come off.

TheVallog likes this.
  3. TheVallog

TheVallog New Member

United Kingdom
    Thanks, Norcal Boy. I've found the second one now and (eventually) managed to (a) remove and even more difficult (b) refit the damn thing. A design invented by sadists. Also can't believe that the push rod (with washer) is just ONE assembly that doesn't split apart but apparently so. Anyway, rear master cylinder now rebuilt and ready to go back on the bike to accompany HEL braided brake lines and rebuilt calipers. Soon, bleeding... another (two part) chapter in itself. Also want to rebuild secondary master cylinder at LH front caliper but the kits for those only available on your side of the pond and I'm still waiting....

4. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    We love HEL brake lines (I have them on 3 bikes) - especially when someone very generous (who lives in Arizona) gifts you a set !!!!!!

5. TheVallog

TheVallog New Member

United Kingdom
    Yes, I'm impressed by the care that went into compiling the hideously complex set up required for a Combined Braking scheme. Everything seems to fit just so and all the grommets in the right place as well. But attaching to those rigid pipes is a bit of a 'mare. Honda's fault, rather than HEL's, it has to be stressed - hardly room to swing an open ended spanner and 10mm nuts just begging to be rounded off. Upgrading the clutch line as well. Two more items to be rebuilt with new seals.

Your Arizona benefactor is very generous. HEL sets are NOT cheap. But they are good VFM.

6. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

i'm glad to see it all worked out!