Red paint?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by OZ VFR, Jul 18, 2013.

1. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    Does anyone know if there is a matching Honda or any other make car paint code that matches the VFR red (R157)?
    None of the paint shops here seem to know any of the motorcycle colour codes and I'm having trouble matching the paint accuratley.

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

This might get you started:

Honda Paint Codes

Red pigments by nature are transparent making the undercoating color critical if a match is in the works. Red pigments are also fugitive making the permanence of the color changeable with weathering and especially prone to fading when exposed to sunlight.

Small quantities of Honda MC paints can be purchased from a few places in the US..

If you are looking for a "perfect" match. IMO you are better off with a total repaint especially if an entire panel is in need of repainting.

If you have a few scratches, one little trick is to do touchup with nail polish using a spotting brush (# 0 or other) and using nail polish remover for the reducer.

3. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    Thanks badbilly, I've been using my daugthers red nail polish for small scratches for a while unbeknown to her.
    But I bought one of the cheap (crap) Chinese seat cowls and need to repaint it. I would also like to paint my Ventura rack to suit.
    If you know of any car codes that are the same colour ( there must be one that is close), let me know.
    SHIT!!! Is there really that many Honda colours?

4. Badbilly

United States
    Don't get nailed..;)

I ran into about the same problem with a seat cowl. They were about 100 USD when I bought the famous mach 1 91. First thing I did was to get a couple of rattlecans of black that would adhere to the grey vinyl stock seat. Later I traded that same seat to a guy in New Hampshire for a cowl that was broken. Even then getting a match was going to be a PITA. One area on my 91 that was red faded to pink.. Anyhoo, I painted the cowl after I fixed it with black wrinkle paint. Believe it or not I bought the paint from a Harley shop... Good stuff. Same cowl is on 91 with the same wrinkle paint. The US rep for Ventura is a friend and I have a rack I use sometimes. Great piece of equipment. I would suggest powdercoating that gear.

Just in case you decide on the wrinkle route there's a trick to getting it takes three passes. One in one direction, the second crosses that and the third at a diagonal. The paint flashes in a minute or so and then gentle heat can be applied. IMO a hair dryer works fine. Again, don't get nailed by your daughter. She already knows you are dipping into her stuff..

I'll take a look for a cross reference. Right now I'm not in Seattle and the Honda auto dealer here is old school and they send their bodywork out to the guy at the Ford dealership.

I think "Dangerous Dave" works for a Honda auto dealership. He may be able to help..

Yep, there are that many colors and those are just the bikes.. Eeeek!

5. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

United States
    Map
  6. Badbilly

United States

7. Porl

Porl New Member

Map
    No. Colorite won't deliver to Australia and don't have local agent or distributor.
    I emailed them and asked a few months back, and that's what they replied. All I wanted was a couple of paint touch up pens too; not like I wanted them to ship litres of paint or anything.

I had some paint (R158P) mixed up locally by Autopro. Not even close, and no pearl in the top coat. Without having a bike with R157 paint anymore to apply the paint to and compare it, the paint I got looks closer to that than the R158P it's supposed to be. IE, brighter red, no pearl. A friend with a VF1000R had some of each colour mixed in the same place for his bike and the match is quite good, just my touch-up pots were wrong.

cuelho1 - Give Autopro a try at least, they mix up paint in spray cans, touch-up pots, or by the litre and have Honda bike paint codes listed. Not all stores do it, and you might find the colour way out like I did, but might be worth a go. I think Rooty Hill is the nearest Autopro to you.

8. Badbilly

United States
    The reducers in the paint are flammable. Also, if the catalyst and the paint somehow got mixed in shipping, due to crushing or in flight from gas expansion the reaction is exothermic.

This matching thing with reds, the predominant bad guy of all the colors is especially visable in a section or even an an entire panel. Rubbed back as a spot repair is even moreso and will not last. OTOH a part such as a painted or powdercoated rack and perhaps even a seat cowl that is close will not be that perceptible to one's built in visually compensated "computer".

Before anyone suggests using nail polish to paint a whole bike a little bean counting will show this in not a very good idea.

Most nail polish comes in .5 fl oz containers. A US gallon is 128 fl.oz. The price of a bottle of nail polish can be anywhere from a buck to ten bucks so if we average out the price to be five bucks a pop for half an oz. Do the math..

Canadian and Texas gallons are larger and there are several sites that will convert all this to metric as well as comparing the US Peso to a Bolivian Cruziero to as many as four decimals.

9. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

United States
    Map

Ahhh...that's a bummer :( Good luck in the search. badbilly is offering good advice here.

10. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry fer the hijack......Hey BB...are there any deals you buddy at Ventura can through my way here in LA ? Thats the rack I want with the low back support.......alrighty then Thanks

11. Badbilly

United States
    On paint yes.. Sometimes my general advice is a physical impossibility. ;)

12. Badbilly

United States
    Sure... She will ship from Seattle to Ventura (??) and you won't be charged shipping and handling costs from NZ.. Spend a few bucks more and get one of Ventura's Lexan shields for your headlight module. Price out what it would cost ya if it was to be holed by a rock. Got one on all three of my riders that are moduled. After about ten years the Velcro on the shield for the universally famous mach 1 91 gave up and I replaced it with aboot a bucks worth of marine grade Velcro from the local Wally's.

Seems like the guy in NZ says not to use the racks for backrests...Also the rack you may be talking about sits pretty far back on a bike... If you have a behind like that Kardashian chica this could be a benefit rather than a detriment.

Karen, the Ventura distributor will be at Sportbike Northwest at the end of the month.. She has some deals there on stuff that has been displayed. More on that from www.SoundRider. com or call or Email Tom Mehren. He can hook you up.