Redbull almost gave my son wings

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by diVeFR, Sep 5, 2013.

1. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    I had to take an unfortunate/fortunate trip last month to Va. This is my PSA for the over-indulgence of Red Bull and any other energy drinks that are out there on the market. And let this serve as a warning not only to the young people on this site but also to the fathers, brothers, uncles, friends and other family members that area also here.

My son was put into ICU for kidney failure. The main suspected culprit is energy drinks. Although the Dr never pointed the finger at the drinks per say, the deductive reasoning and process of elimination kinda leads to that direction. His mom and I have been separated for a while. My son is a typical boy that stays in his room and plays video games. All he has had to drink over the last few months has been Monster, or Red bull drinks, (Im sure he has had other non-energy style drinks too during this time frame) but over the last week to week and a half, before the hospital, mom cant remember him ever coming downstairs to eat (with them), and she couldn't remember when the last time he has had anything else to drink other than energy drinks for the past week. The night before he came downstairs and said he wasn't feeling well. Next morning his stepsister went to wake him and it wasn't a pretty site.

Paramedics were called and he was brought to the hospital. He was put into ICU. Last rights were read. I get a call from stepdad and immediately rushed to Va. The doctor had stated that he has only read about 16 cases that something like this has happened and the person survived. Well make that 17. My son slowly recovered over the course of 2 1/2 weeks. There was fear in the beginning of him having to dialasys for the rest of his life but it looks like his kidneys are going to do a full recovery. There is another fear that if he drinks another energy drink, the body will remember that, and it might make his body shut down his kidneys. (this is putting the description in the most non-medical easiest way possible) He is out of the hospital now and enjoying life.

In three weeks he will move down here with me..... Maybe Ill finally teach him how to ride..... Thankfully this, our story, continues.....

2. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Glad he will be OK.

Yes, introduce him to riding were a real passion can grow and he can leave video games were they belong...behind him :)

BZ

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Wow! I am sorry here, but what was his mother thinking? Red flags were flapping in the wind. 1 to 1 1/2 weeks he is missing from the dinner table? I don't mean to speak ill of your ex wife but that was just too close to disaster not to. The thing I insisted on most in my family was that we all sat at the dinner table for supper unless we were away from home. The only exception to that rule was for me when I was at work.

Hope you can keep the boy for a long while and instill some life experiences with him that are better than on line gaming and living on energy drinks. Those damned drinks should be regulated like alcohol an not sold off the shelf to youth.

Glad your boy pulled through and hope you enjoy some quality time with him. Both my kids have moved on now and I would like to see them more than we do, but I am comfortable that they both remain on the right track and are healthy.

4. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    So glad to hear that he pulled through and you have a second chance at experiencing life with him in it!

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Good to hear he came out of it relatively ok.

I don't think most people understand just how dangerous drinking to excess of many things can cause issues.

I drink those drinks, but only rarely.

Another more common health hazard from them is dysrhythmia. If someone has a minor issue with their heart (slight irregularity, etc.) then red bull et al can be enough to put them over the edge into an episode that could cause them more serious problems.

Good luck with the riding thing. My son used to ride with me a few years ago but he sold his bike.

6. ftl900

ftl900 New Member

Map
    Put him on a bike with a camelback full of water!! it's the best way for a kid to grow up.

7. JayyVee

JayyVee New Member

Man, that gives me the shivers just thinking of that in context to my own children.. Glad to hear your boy will pull through and be ok for the most part, and that his kidneys appear to be healing so well. Crucial life lesson for him here, you seem to be all over it to teach him - good dad! :)

Energy drinks in abundance are indeed dangerous, as is 'any' drink that is not water or completely natural (100% fruit juice - and even then the preservative chemicals..). I lost my gall bladder to too many sodas, specifically too many Rockstars and Full Throttles. Dr. could of course, not 'point' to the cause - but I think we 'all' know what goes in us, and what that does, when you think about it. I had the largest gallstone my Doc had seen in some years... I am on water only these days (occasional sweet tea, I 'am' in the south) and that's about it..

Something isn't right when your pee comes out like antifreeze.. (joking aside that's the body purging all the vitamins - but what about the stuff it can't purge in a timely manner - it gets stored 'somewhere')..

8. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Glad that he pulled through OK. Good luck in building on that relationship.

9. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    I personally have cut out all caffeine (pop, coffee, energy drinks which I've only had two in my life) and drink nothing but water and green tea, or sun brewed tea, stevia, and mint in it. ''

Those energy drinks are nothing but chemicals and caffeine. Bad, bad, bad.

10. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    I tried a red bull once, it was awful. I have been seeing more and more in the news children in the hospital overdosing on them. Same thing you were describing. I don't think regulation is the answer though. I think education and parental involment (e.g. stepdad and momther).

Regardless how he got there, he is better now. Get him on the water and occasional juice habit. Spend as much time with him as possible too!

11. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    :hss: I am glad your son is on the recovery road, those drink are BAD. My kid also hook with that drink but I have stop them from drinking those Energy drink and prefer him to drink IPA instead :rolleyes: Kidding a side my thought and prayer go our to you and your son. My kids are my whole world and I would do anything to be with them. Hang in there Bro

12. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks guys... I just talked to him last night and he is doing so much better. He is very anxious to get down here to Tx.

Like anything in life, moderation is the key. From drinking energy drinks (consumption to less than 1 a day or 1 a week), to riding motorcycles(speeding). Its when you abuse them, you abuse yourself. I too would like to see some sort of regulation on these drinks but the big question is how? May be more responsibility on the manufacture to educate people on the long term effects of drinking energy drinks. I still believe its the individuals responsibility to regulate what he or she does. I can not really blame Red Bull or any other energy company whole heartedly when self regulation or parental supervision could have stopped this. Maybe if it is proven that there is an ingredient that is an addicting substance then more action against the company(s) should be taken.

Again guys thanks again for the well wishes.

13. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Good news for sure.

14. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I'd like to do that but somehow beer is missing from that list.

15. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    I did talk to my wife in regard of regulate the drink but there are too many loop holes and $$$ invole unless people can prove the drink cause so many death. Also it is indivitual action so it is tough fight.

16. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

We don't need more government regulation. Simple common sense is all that is needed. I drink Redbull/Rockstar/Monster, etc, on occasion but I know not to consume a whole bunch of them in one sitting. Same goes for soda, or anything sugary. You wouldn't want to hit coffee all day either, days on end. Just some common sense.

Glad your boy is recovering.

17. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Sorry for the high jack but all in the name of safety for our kids.

I understand all that is being said about reading labels and we don't need more government regulations. I can't argue too much on that. I also agree with cornerexit and others with his point of view on being free to purchase and consume these products at will without interference from the gov't. What I am wanting to see, if it is possible, is for there being a process in place that would prevent youth from readily going and buying this stuff and drinking it indiscriminately.

With some exceptions, we all know that youth today, no different that in my youth in this regard, do not read labels. So there is no way they will know what they are consuming other than their peers are telling them this is great stuff or whatever. Not the best form of education when it comes to learning the safe consumption limits of this stuff and others like it.

Are we going to prevent the youth from getting this without the benefit of adult supervision and advise? About as successful as we are with alcohol. But that degree of preventative measures, is a far cry from the nothing we have with energy drinks now. I think the absolute minimal gov't intervention needed here, is far worth the benefits buy protecting our kids.

DeVeFR. You are a very lucky man, or I should say your son is. He has been given a second kick at the cat. I can't imagine what you went through or the feeling of a rip in your gut, when you got that call. The biggest fear I had ever experienced in my 25 years in Law Enforcement, was not facing someone with a weapon or anything of that nature. Or arriving at gruesome crime scenes. It was the fear of arriving at a fatal MVA, to find one of my own, slumped over the wheel, gone.

I don't know how old your son is, or what his personality is like. But maybe he could be a very valued advocate to caution for his peers on this subject.

Good luck.

18. Chicky

Chicky New Member

United States
    Map
    Very scary, DiVeFR. I'm glad your son did not "earn" his wings... thank you for sharing the story so that others are aware of the dangers.

19. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    thanks for sharing your story. can't imagine

20. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    How bout instead of a bunch of academic shit, some selective plug removal with a pair of sidecutters.