Refinishing Stock End Cans.

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Glenngt750, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    I was able to buy a pair of stock end cans from a Canadian VFR750. Nice dude in Ontario went out of his way and wrapped em' up and shipped them out West! Had a hard time finding any.
    In Edmonton, there is a Bylaw stating that Motorcycles cannot make more than a certain amount of noise. Cars, etc. are exempt! GRRRRRR! Besides always waiting to be pulled over at a "Checkstop", I like a quieter ride. Though the "Supertrapp" pipes do sound pretty good!
    Well, back to the issue at hand. I want to know if anyone has had any luck refinishing, replating, or improving the looks of rashed up pipes? I'll try sanding and painting the black part, ahead of the mufflers. It's just the silver part I am worried about. The rest of the bike looks so good, I'd like to do something to make the pipes look half decent. Any ideas? DSCN0473.jpg DSCN0623.jpg DSCN0624.jpg DSCN0625.jpg DSCN0473.jpg

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Get as much rust and corrosion off the assembly as possible using conventional elbow grease. There are rust converters on the market. I use a version called "Corroseal" made in Seattle.

Looks like on the exterior of the mufflers there is some debonding of the coating. Plating is going to cost you some pesos. All sorts of plating is out there including ceramics.

Best bet IMO is paint them using VHT paint or plain barbeque black. VHT (very high temperature) paint is made by Sherwin-Williams. Getting fancy, and a little hard to find is a high temp paint called "Stovebright" Comes in several colors and a few metallic tones. Best place to look is a retailer who sells woodstoves and the like.

Unless I'm missing something, Supertrapps can be tailored by adding or subtracting baffle plates. I have one on my SR500 that's been on there for years..Bought it from an outfit called White Bros.

3. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    You're correct about the Supertrapp's, in that mine have maybe 5 discs in them. I heard I can remove all of them to quiet them down. Don't think it'll be enough though. I'll probably just remove as much corrosion as possible and repaint, or see what plating is available. Thanks for the reply!

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    One of the instances when less is really more. ;)

If you guys up there in the great Frozen North are getting busted for exhaust noise, my feeling is this was influenced by the "loud pipes" harleydood crowd. Surely there are standards involved that may be worth checking out at your DMV. This would or should be established with testing. If you "pass" by removing diffuser plates from the Supertrapps, this might get you a pass from an overzealous cop.

Don't take em all out. That will for sure get you busted.. Don't ask how I know this..