regulator/rectifier demons

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by TA-Rocks, Aug 30, 2013.

1. TA-Rocks

TA-Rocks New Member

United States
    Map
    I have recently had to join the club attacked by the R/R demon. My joy ride plan last week included riding to Front Royal Va, which is beside Skyline Drive. We planned to ride together and possibly ride through Skyline. Along the route my bike acted strange and was telling me something. I have had it now long enough to know that maybe a tune up part is not quite the problem here. Slight loss of power was indicated and idle at a light started to seem unstable. My VFR tryed to stall so I used the high idle or choke to compensate. I pulled in to the next station to make a call, turned it off then attempted to restart. The battery was dead right after I turned it off...strange. Immediately thanks to reading ahead I knew the r/r demon got ahold oh her. The good thing about my situation? My friend coming to meet me was not far and met me to push start it. A new battery was powerful enough to push restart and run another 20 miles. I got closer to his house and then exchanged batteries for his battery. This brought me to his house.

Now at his house I have to find a new or used r/r to get me home. I searched and found 2 hrs away a place called GRD cycle in White Plains Md. They told me that the regulator/rectifier units were all basically the same and the ones they had in stock will work even though the VFR unit was not in stock.
    I drove hours to buy the part that was not specific to my bike but "you can make it work". I had to cut connectors off and hardwire it. I tested it and found it to be high voltages or 16-18 V to the battery. I rode back home on the unit and then returned the unit to the dealer. They tested and returned it to me.

So, I called Rick from Ricksmotorsportselectric.com and found that I can make this part work by connecting the black wire to my bike unlike my original r/r.
    And now I will soon find out if this wire corrects my over voltage problem and cures my ales and all my troubles fade away. Just a few hours away I will be able to re-install my part and find out if all my dreams of riding will return to me soon.