Regulator/rectifier yellow wires burned

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Tenknots, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Tenknots

Tenknots New Member

Hi all,

I am in the process of replacing my RR but two of the yellow wires in the connector have melted apart. In repairing them, I am not sure now which yellow goes to which yellow on the other side of the connector. Are they all three AC and it doesn't matter which one goes where? Any ideas?

2. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    AC doesn't matter.

Do yourself a favor and buy a VFRness from Wire My Bike

3. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    :amen:

Also, once you have everything connected and the bike running check the stator wiring and make sure they are not cooking. The new stator/rr connector was causing massive resistance in my VFR, which burned out an Electrosport Stator minutes after I got the bike back and would have got the OEM (Stator #3) if the local shop wasn't watching for the heat-up. They finally fixed the problem by soldering the stator wiring directly to the RR's.

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
  5. Davis5g

Davis5g New Member

Map
    +1 on the upgraded main harness from wire my bike. It uses heavy gauge wire and runs charging system voltage right to the positive terminal of the battery where it should go, not through the fuse panel. Its also super easy to install while your in there tossing the factory RR and installing the ricks motorsport one.

6. donald branscom

donald branscom New Member

Map
    And all this is HONDA FACTORY wiring that failed.

I think some of our laws about testing of products before they can be sold should be beefed up.

Computers and all electronics are failing all over the place.
    Cell phones (batteries) that explode and catch fire etc.,.

Products that fail that are like new, are KILLING people.

7. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    Send the failed Regulators back to Honda !!!

What we need to do is to have a central address where we can

send our crappy failed regulators and small burned out wiring harnesses.

After about a year we should have quite a collection.

Then we package it all up and send it back to Honda in Japan

and see if we get a reply of sorts. :biggrin:

8. donald branscom

Map
    That should make the 6'clock news!!
    I would love to see the faces of those electronic genuises when they open the box!!!!!

For some reason the electronics people think they can just make stuff and sell it and if it fails we are supposed to think its ok????? Like computers.

You buy a new computer and a week later you find out it as 30 "KNOWN" issues?? Cheeeesssshhhh!!!
    Should NOT be allowed to be sold.

9. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    I just read that cigarettes can kill you.

Amazing I was allowed to buy that shit all those years.

[​IMG]

10. donald branscom

Map
    Yes that is true but first you spend a lot of money on them, your teeth get bad, your skin looks yellow. Friends don't want to be around you because you stink, and you make their house and car stink ,and then you die alone in a hospital.
    Maybe have a limb amputated from poor circulation.
    Getting to die is a blessing.

11. casper1

casper1 New Member

just blew my rectifier, heated frame,melted wires, u would think the inline fuse would blow, nope just melt with the rest . but easy fix

12. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    count me in. it seems like everyones electrical system is failing all at once right now! there is always atleast 2 or 3 threads running at any given time on here and vfrdiscussion.
    i will have an r/r, a wireharness, and hopefully not a stator to throw in the pile.

should we make a thread specifically towards gathering all these fried electrical parts together and then all at once sending them to honda?

13. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    like honda's gonna give a shit about a fried R/R on 20yr old bikes. Of course there are a lot of threads about R/R's, people start threads when they have problems, not to say their stuff is running great. Out of thousands of bikes sold, there are 2 threads a week for failures...

14. donald branscom

Map
    I think it is very good for members to report failures to other forum members.
    We can help each other that way.

15. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    AMEN, because Honda will not lift one finger they don't legally have to. Anyhow, the local Honda shop finally fixed my VFR by Googling the latest problem (Stator wiring burning) and finding the solution, remove the stator/rr connector and wiring they two together, at VFRW and VFRD.

16. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    It's probably not fair to pass judgment on your dealer from a short little description like this; however, it may be time to find a new one. Charging systems on bikes, regardless of manufacturer or model, are notoriously weak, problematic, and simple. Look at wiremybike.com and you can see they offer retrofit harnesses for far more than the Honda VFR. A mechanic worth his salt and with the necessary experience to be working at a dealership should have had the knowledge to figure out your problem.

17. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    dude my bike is an 07. i would expect this after 20 years, not 3...

18. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    The local shop got nowhere consulting with Honda Corp and found the solution on thier own. Now, they continue to insist my mods are responsible but so far not shown me how, just repeated the Honda line about "not making changes". They even put it in the resolution report "Cust has re-connected his wires back up, not sure what they are cust was advised not to hook them back up." Facts:

A) I had explained exactly what mods were done, even provided the VFR's wiring schematic with the mods in place.

B) All the mods had been totally disconnected by the tech who was "not sure what they are".

C) The Electrosport stator burned out, apparently before I'd even left the shop parking lot or had a chance to reconnect anything.

You're right about finding a new shop, especially after the BS about my mods. This is the same place that in '06 did my '05 VFR's 8k maintenance using the schedule for an '02 Magna "because they both have V4 engines". Problem is, the next nearest Honda shop is 50 miles away and the local options are a Kawasaki shop and independents who pretty much view H-D as the tech god of motorcycles...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  19. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    I wonder if there is a Honda regional representative you can call. The dealer has to answer to a regional rep and if they aren't providing good service, the rep can leverage some weight of the manufacturer against them. Not sure how you would find your rep, probably at a local MC show like they have around spring time.

It seems like dealers really don't want to pay much to retain quality wrenches. The guys with real skills and experience end up going out on their own or getting real jobs where they can support a family.

20. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    No joy there either. The regional rep disproved the goodwill repair and according to the Honda Corp rep, is one mind with the local shop. You hit the nail, BTW. The shop's cut back the service dept by at least a third and the ones still there are not exactly top rank...

PS: My VFR voltage before and after repair was under 12.7 at idle to 14.1 @ 5000rpm. After I installed the VFRNess voltage now is above 12.8 at idle to 14.6 @ 5000rpm. The Voltmeter even stays green (13.9-15.1) with the fan running....