removing fuel tank for air filter change

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by old_pirelli, Mar 16, 2012.

1. old_pirelli

old_pirelli New Member

Australia
    Map
    Picked up a lovely new K & N air filter today, haven't taken a fuel tank off a VFR in more than 16 years (owned a 1994 & 1990 VFR)

Don't have a Clymer or Haynes manual, just wondering if anyone has some tips/short cuts on getting the fuel tank off ?

Any pitfalls ?

Forgot to say it is going into a 1997 model

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    It looks like the 3rd/4th gen service manual download link is broken on this site but it is available on the other VFR site so I've included the link below. Removal is simple, just remove the nut and long bolt at the base of the tank near where the tank meets the front of the seat (see part #6 in attached pic) and slide the entire tank back toward the rear of the bike as you gently lift. Just make sure to disconnect the lines and turn off the shutoff valve if you plan on removing it completely which is not always necessary. It is also much easier to remove / lift the tank when it is empty so have a siphon handy or ride it until there is only a little fuel left. When you are ready to put the tank back look under the front of the tank and you'll see two little shafts extending sideways (part #1) These extensions should have a foam/rubber sleeve to dampen vibration and should slide back into place under the metal brackets at the top of the frame.

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/uploads/downloads/vfr750fservice.pdf

Tank.jpg

Rollin

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Just becareful removing the screw on the cover, best to use a magnatic screw driver to avoid the screw drop into your motor. It 's not fun try to fine the damn screw ......

4. old_pirelli

old_pirelli New Member

Australia
    Map
    thank muchly for the advice - its a rainy day today, so I think I will drain the tank & have a go at replacing the filter.

5. Wahlstrom

Wahlstrom New Member

Denmark
    Hi
    New to owning a VFR so also new to this forum..

Know this is an old thread...

How do I remove the wires, controlling the gas valve? Or does the whole unit need to be removed?