Repainting fork legs

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by VFR Love, Jun 4, 2014.

1. VFR Love

VFR Love New Member

United States
    I picked up some dupli-color high temp primer, high temp semi-gloss black and high temp clear.

Why high temp? It was on sale and between the high temp stability and that it said "ceramic" on the cans I'd like to think means it will be more durable against stone rash.

Any reason NOT to paint the fork legs with this product?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Sounds like the Duplicolor you bought might be good the gnarly pipe between your muffler and the header. The fork tubes are not high temp. The lower tubes are factory coated and the upper parts are chromed unless there have been some changes. Prep the lowers with 4/0 steel wool or if you can find some 4/0 brass wool. Steel wool for the most part is oiled and will leave a residue, brass wool is not. The oil need to beremoved if regular steel wool is used. Paint thinner works fine. If the factory coating is shot you'll need an etching primer for aluminum. Aboot ten pesos at a paint and body supply. Paint? Any two component automotive paint will work.

3. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    That should look nice, a good choice of color for your bike although I think I would have gone with gloss. I've contemplated this as well as I have a spare set of fork lowers just sitting on a shelf but I think I would have them powder coated just to have the extra durability.

4. Badbilly

United States
    I'd be real careful where any paint or powdercoat was applied. Both have millage.

5. VFR Love

VFR Love New Member

United States
    What grade is Brillo and can I use that? I was going to use sand paper and do some wet sanding and scotchbrite for the harder to reach areas.

I will be painting the lowers and maybe the top clamp. Don't really want the down time of Powdercoating.

It will ultimately be gloss black between the semi gloss black and clear. I figured the semi would offer more adhesion for the clear than a full gloss black.

Also semi will run less easily than a gloss and hopefully adhere better.

6. VFR Love

VFR Love New Member

United States
    The dupli-color engine primer, paint and clear I bought all have the same label which basically says:

Apply primer first.

Apply in 2 light coats and one medium wet coat.

Apply all coats within 1 hour allowing ten minutes between each coat.

If I have to allow 10 min between coats and have to do 3 coats each of primer, color and clear I'm going to exceed the 1 hour completion time specified and according to label have to wait 7 days if exceeding 1 hour before applying further coats.

No way I'm laying my bike up that long!

7. Badbilly

United States
    For the prep (sanding) Scotchbrite is graded just like sandpaper or the various metal wools. Sanding provides tooth.

I have zero experience with the Duplicolor you are going to use. I do have experience with similar paints. Notably "Hammerite" . If the window is not adhered to as the directions call for you will have a mess you wish you didn't. The other coats will lift then dry.

My advice is to save the Duplicolor for another use and use a more forgiving paint.

Also, painting any tubeing is a bitch anyway.

8. VFR Love

VFR Love New Member

United States
    My 2 days off just went down to 1.5 and I have to do the head stock bearings. Well- if nothing else I can hit em with plasti-dip