REPLACEMENT switches

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by cbx1260cc, Jan 1, 2019.

1. cbx1260cc

cbx1260cc New Member

United States
    Map
    UNable to find any NOS or even nice switches for my 1986 VFR750F restoration so looking for other options.

Anyone ever used later model switches with success and which model did you use??

I realise there will have to be some "engineering" and wire cutting will likely be required but would certainly like newer switches instead of the charcoal grey items currently available.

Open to suggestions please.

Thank you.

2. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    when you say charcoal gray items, are you concerned that all the period correct switch gear available are faded and look bad ? if so try Kleen Flo Rubber Care, it works like magic, ive restored many gray switchgear back to black with this product. We buy it at Canadian Tire stores here, but its available all over the place.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/kleen-flo-rubber-care-0381573p.html

several healthy coats of it left to soak in for a number of days with repeat coats in between, after 4 or 5 days they look stellar

3. Spriggan

Spriggan New Member

United States
    cbr1000rr switches look great! just need measure your choke cable and buy one with mounting bracket

edit: wire colors for the kill switch were the same i believe, only need to lengthen them

4. sixdog

sixdog Member

United States
    Map
  5. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I have started converting my bikes to RC51 / 900RR style switches and throttle housings. Left hand CBR600F2/3 have the correct choke lever set-up too. But, as mentioned above, I have also started just mounting a remote choke cable somewhere down in the left cowling. And I have done right hand F2/F3 switches as well, you just have to remove the terminals out of the connectors and then match the stock configuration in the originals connectors.

Don't even bother finding the original starter switch assembly. Even if you find a nice one the starter button will fail. Bad design.

6. cbx1260cc

cbx1260cc New Member

United States
    Map
    Captain 80s,
    To CLARIFY . I can use the CBR600F2/F3 switches as replacements. Left AND Right sides?
    Thank you

7. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

8. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Yes. Anything is really possible, depending how comfortable you are re-configuring connectors or doing some soldering to combine the donor switches and the end of the original switches. I suspect that's why NorcalBoy posted that link. It's really just a matter of matching the colors. The F2/3 switches will be the best option to get a more modern switch with the least work. I honestly can't remember if they were literally plug and play, I do this on so many bikes. The start switch is almost certainly. Sometimes the length required to get to where you want requires some soldering (or high quality butt connectors). I'll pull out the 2 service manuals for the wiring diagrams tomorrow.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  9. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I just pulled out the F2 and VFR wire diagrams. Neither is plug-n-play. Both are doable, but you will need to convert some terminals (to/from male/female). You could convert the harness side to match the replacement switch you choose so it can easily be replaced in the future.

I wired in a RC51 start switch and one the generic turn signal switches from that link on the RC26. And a VTR1000F Superhawk turn signal switch on the VF500F track bike (No choke lever, I mounted a 900RR choke cable down under the carbs). And a new Honda turn signal switch from I don't know what, on a VF1000R. That one was a challenge because the headlight plug is on the original switch. The point is, anything is doable.